Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   1994 Blazer 4.3 eng wont start <--need help (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/1994-blazer-4-3-eng-wont-start-need-help-4406/)

chitowncruiser 07-14-2006 05:45 PM

1994 Blazer 4.3 eng wont start <--need help

Hello Guys and Gals.........I am a newbie to the forum so please be nice......here is my problem... my wifes truck is a 1994 blazer with the 4.3 vortec engine, automatic transmission, digital dash, a couple of days ago she came home from work and the truck ran fine when she parked it, the next day she went to start it and ....nothing...nodda...zip

1 - when u turn the key the dash flashes off and on but no crank
2 - new starter was put in yesterday but still the same thing dash flashes no crank
3 - battery is less than 6 months old
4 - when u turn the key u do hear the fuel pump engage in the rear of the truck
5 - truck will not crank in Neutral either
6 - relay on firewall on drivers side in engine compartment (outer one next to fender) clicks when u turn the key
7 - truck has over 165.000 miles and is still a runner when it runs
8 - all fuses have been looked at and checked out ok

I'm not a mechanic not do i wish to take it to one if i can fix it myself with your help here, could it be the relay that is bad??? or is it the neutral saftey switch or the ignition switch on the column???......sorry for such a long post.

Lowtruck94 07-14-2006 07:44 PM

RE: 1994 Blazer 4.3 eng wont start <--need help

Ok, well to see if I can give you any suggestions on this one, I used to be a mechanic myself,, ok more than common problems with the cables being corroded at the connections to the battery, ok, also take into effect that you could also have bad grounds, not just the power cable, so I would check off first the connections, then if you have a volt meter check the voltage down at the end of the starter/ humm think that if that was replaced too then you might also want to check to see if the bolt is tight as long as you got you 12V at the starter. then it become a different ballgame of ignition switch, or possibility of short in wire from ignition switch to starter. well good luck I hop this helps

Enjoy

Lowtruck94@Yahoo.com
DJSPARKS
http://www.myspace.com/lowtruck94

Chevy Lover 07-15-2006 04:15 PM

Welcome to the site. Don't apologize for a long post that's full of useful information, you're just making it easier for us to help.

First thing that comes to mind is a possible ignition switch. If you have a test light or a voltmeter and a helper, here's what I suggest.
With the parking brake on (for safety) see if you can get to the wiring on the starter motor. There is a small wire attatched to the "S" terminal. attatch your voltmeter or test light to a good ground (like a starter mounting bolt) and to the "S" terminal. Have your helper turn the key to "crank". The test light should light (or voltmeter show 12 volts).
If you have voltage to the "s" terminal, a tight connection and 12 volts to the (big) battery terminal and the starter motor mounting bolts are tight, then the starter is no good.
If you don't get voltage to the "S" terminal, then the problem is either in the ignition switch on the steering column or the ignition lock cylinder or the wiring between the switch and the starter.
Hope this info gets you started. Keep us posted.

chitowncruiser 07-16-2006 02:30 AM

hey guys thanks for all of ur answers so far..........put a new battery in it today and tried it and still nothing......the starter is brand new and was replaced just a few days ago, im getting power to the starter ( tried to jump start it with the ignition key in the on position ) but it still woudnt turn over.....sounds more like the ignition switch to me.......how much of a hassle is it to relace it ???? as i did one in a 1989 Firebird Formula once before....let me know and thanks again guys.......:)

Chevy Lover 07-16-2006 07:45 AM

ORIGINAL: chitowncruiser

hey guys thanks for all of ur answers so far..........put a new battery in it today and tried it and still nothing......the starter is brand new and was replaced just a few days ago, im getting power to the starter ( tried to jump start it with the ignition key in the on position ) but it still woudnt turn over.....sounds more like the ignition switch to me.......how much of a hassle is it to relace it ???? as i did one in a 1989 Firebird Formula once before....let me know and thanks again guys.......:)
you say you're getting power to the starter. To the small "S" terminal (possibly a purple wire)? Or power to the big wire that goes to the battery. If you get power to the small wire it should engage the starter.
T
I don't have a manual for your year, but the ignition switch is probably mounted on the lower steering column.
A rod goes from the key cylinder down to activate the ignition switch. Probablly two 8mm bolts holding it in place.
Sorry if this is vague, as I said, I don't have a manual.

chitowncruiser 07-16-2006 02:38 PM

Chevy Lover

since I have already put in a new

1 - starter
2 - battery

I'm going to assume it is the ( switch ) that is bad since when u turn the key the digital dash flashes off and then back on but with no crank......upon checking for parts i have found 2 things

1 - ignition switch - which is located under the steering column
2 - ignition cylinder - where the key goes in to start it

so i am going to drop the column and replace the switch and see if that does the trick.......i'll post back when i'm done and let u know if that fixed it........thanks

chitowncruiser 08-06-2006 03:21 PM

ok guys

put in a new ignition switch and still nothing..turn the key and the digital dash still flashes off and then back on..im getting power to everything like lights /radio/ blower motor..what else can be wrong with it?

it just wont crank which i dont understand.....could it be the ignition cylinder?....but i dont have a chip in the key im drawingblanks here can u guys help put

XBlazer01 08-06-2006 03:32 PM

hmmmmm

I may be totaly off but this kidna sounds like what was happening to my friends 300ZX.

If not ignore me and im dumb lol. pull out the headunit and dash and look around for a lose wire. Cause his wouldnt start and we found some power wire (i forgot which one its been awhile) Look for an exposed or broken wire. If you already did this as i said im dumb and im sorry lol

bornla 11-28-2009 01:47 PM

it's your "lock cylinder,believe me....big problem, little price to buy(16.00)

swartlkk 11-28-2009 08:03 PM

Holy crap. I know you have been digging up any and all threads that you "think" that your comments could help, but please man, stop the insanity... You offer up NO explanation at all and then you go dig up a thread like this one that is over 3 years old... STOP IT already!