Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   4x4 Actuator (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/4x4-actuator-4913/)

ryansoxfan 08-13-2006 07:59 PM

4x4 Actuator

My service 4x4 light is on in my blazer. i took it in to a shop and they said the 4x4 actuator is out. they said this is a $400 part to replace. does anyone know anything about these? are they easy to replace? are they internal inside the transfer case? is there anywhere else to buy one cheaper? like maybe off a wrecked blazer? any help or info is greatly appreciated. thanks.

20Blazer00 08-13-2006 09:55 PM

RE: 4x4 Actuator

To get more information you need to supply more information. For example what year of blazer model 2dr 4dr engine we know tranny type etc.. and if you can remember the locations of the problem or part....

I have one suggestion immediately and that is to look at parts prices at gmpartsdirect.com to see if you are being quoted a fair price for at least the parts labor is another issue...

So we need more info and then we can narrow it down closer to help with what you are seeking.....

swartlkk 08-13-2006 09:58 PM

I agree, more information is necessary. From your other posts, I know that you have a '99, but that is about it. Also, what is meant by the 4x4 actuator? Do they mean the front axle engagement actuator? or is it the transfer case mode actuator?

Hanr3 08-13-2006 10:20 PM

$400 sounds like the part in the t-case. It is bolted to the side of the t-case.

I have no idea what is involved in replacing that part, never done it. Although I could look through my Hanyes manual and give you an educated guess. Post up if your interested?

ryansoxfan 08-14-2006 08:40 PM

my blazer is a 99 4dr with a 4.3 motor. i believe it is the actuator to the transfer case and not the one for the front axle. is this an easy part to replace? any more info is appreciated.

lastcoupe 08-14-2006 09:01 PM

The t-case shift actuator is bolted to the outside of the t-case with 3 10mm bolts, The electrical connector is bolted to the motor with 1 8mm bolt. You have to remove the front drive-shaft to get the motor off. Now, if this is the problem you can usually get it working again by clearing the codes out of the transfer case control module (TCCM). The code sets whenever the motor fails to operate only 25% of the time,(and when the code sets all mode/range shifting is disabled) so if you clear the codes it will probably start working again at least temporarily. To clear them, pull the following fuses out of your IP fuse block for at least 2.5 minutes and then reinstall them: 4x4, crtsy, illum, prk lmps. If you do end up needing the actuator, I have a brand new one (G.M.) still in the sealed box that I will sell for $300.00 I bought it for an s-10 I had that my ex-wife wrecked. The one I have is for an option code NP1 (3 button electronic shift 4WD). The other one is NP8 (4-button electronic shift 4WD)which has AUTO 4X4. By the way $400.00 is cheap for this even just the part, the last time I checked they were over $500.00 just to buy it over the counter.

ryansoxfan 08-14-2006 10:07 PM

thanks for the info. my blazer has the 4 button 4x4 swtich with the auto 4wd button. does it matter which actuator i replace it with?

ryansoxfan 08-14-2006 10:14 PM

this might be a dumb question. is the ip fuse block the one under the hood or inside the car on the side of the dashboard?

lastcoupe 08-15-2006 10:11 AM

this might be a dumb question. is the ip fuse block the one under the hood or inside the car on the side of the dashboard
The only dumb question is the one that was never asked. IP is short for Instrument Panel which is long for dash.........lol.

thanks for the info. my blazer has the 4 button 4x4 swtich with the auto 4wd button. does it matter which actuator i replace it with?
You're welcome for the info...that's mainly why I'm here. And yes they are different Encoder Motors yours has the NP8 option code.

ryansoxfan 08-15-2006 09:38 PM

can i use the motor(actuator) for the 3 button switch with my blazer which has the 4 button (auto 4wd) switch? if i can't, can i just get the 3 button switch for my dash and get the 3 button motor (actuator)?