Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   4x4 Help (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/4x4-help-4969/)

BlazerofGreen 08-16-2006 12:41 PM

4x4 Help

Hey guys. I have a 96 blazer 4.3 push button 4x4. It has about 175k miles on it and I have never had much problem from it all. I will post pix sometime. Can someone help me with my four wheel drive? It is push button and Its not working. I thought it may be the actuator or a hose, can anyone help me find out what to look for or anything at all??Thanks

boomtruck97 08-16-2006 01:01 PM

RE: Hello Everyone. Help?

put in park, switch it to 4x4, then go - mine does that in my 92. if not, it might be the transfer case.

BlazerofGreen 08-16-2006 01:16 PM

ORIGINAL: boomtruck97

put in park, switch it to 4x4, then go
Yeah...Thats kinda how it works. Is yours push button?

m00nwater 08-16-2006 01:30 PM

I've moved your post to the appropriate area.

BlazerofGreen 08-16-2006 01:33 PM

ORIGINAL: m00nwater

I've moved your post to the appropriate area.
Thanks

Dory 08-16-2006 05:23 PM

When you hit the button what happens? does the light blink on it but then switch back to 2wd? if so it might just be an encoder motor, which is what I had. I tried everything to get it into gear with no luck. thats what it turned out to be in the end.

BlazerofGreen 08-16-2006 06:01 PM

The buttons and lights seen to work. It goes into 4 high and low and stays, and it gears lower. But the front wheels arent turning for sure.

boomtruck97 08-16-2006 06:40 PM

mine is push button. i hadnt seen a 1992 with electronic transfer case and digital dash until this one. i like it though.

lastcoupe 08-16-2006 09:39 PM

The buttons and lights seen to work. It goes into 4 high and low and stays, and it gears lower. But the front wheels arent turning for sure.
It sounds like your t-case is o.k. Here is what is going on, when the t-case encoder motor shifts the t-case into 4X4, the vacuum switch on top of the t-case routes engine vacuum form the switch to the front axle actuator (A vacuum actuator under your battery tray) The actuator pulls a cable that locks the front differential shafts together and "engauges" the front axle. Now, Your problem lies in either a rotted vacuum hose, (usually around the transmission due to the extreme heat in this area) a busted vacuum actuator (I've seen these just rot or they can even get ATF in them from a leaking switch on the t-case) or there could be a problem with the cable (I've seen battery acid leak on these and seize them up, and I've seen the tiny clips that hold them onto the actuator and front diff. rust off so the cable doesn't pull the mechanism to lock the axle together). Keep me posted on what you find.

BlazerofGreen 08-17-2006 06:05 PM

Thanks man. I was thinking it was that, I just wasn't sure what to look for. You've given me some great info to start. Ill let you know. Thanks again