Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   96 S-10 Help? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/96-s-10-help-4662/)

LT1KICKER 07-31-2006 01:32 PM

96 S-10 Help?

I know, it's an S-10, but it's close enough. My in-laws keep an old 96 S-10 around for a spare vehicle for us kids who might need it. It had 160k and has been in pretty bad shape since my dad-in-law got it three years ago. My bro-in-law recently had it for over a year and a half and beat the crap out of it! I removed the interior this weekend and cleaned the carpet, seats, trim, painted the seat rails, hardware, cleaned the glass, headliner, charged the air conditioning (never worked, now blows cold), and biggest thing was I Seafoam'd the little 2.5L 4-banger. It had a bad miss and rough idle. I seafoam'd it and now it runs like a champ. However, it still has an ABS light, Brake warning light, and a Service Engine Light, with an occasional Check Gages light. I don't kow whats up with the check gages. The temp gauge is broke, and the oil pressure is real low at idle. I"m getting the oil changed in a few minutes as I don't think it has been changed since my bro-in-law took it.

Questions I have-

How can I fix the temp gage

What kind of tranny does this have? Is it a 4L60E?

Any reason why the interior light keeps blowing fuses as soon as I put on in?

lastcoupe 07-31-2006 01:44 PM

RE: 96 S-10 Help?

These trucks never came with a 2.5L if it's a 4-cyl and a 1996 it's should be a 2.2L and if so yes it should be a 4l60e...could be a 4l60. I'll see if I can find a schematic for the temp gauge. The check gauges light could be the result of any gauge (temp, oil pressure, fuel level ) giving a low reading.

Hanr3 07-31-2006 03:46 PM

ORIGINAL: LT1KICKER

I know, it's an S-10, but it's close enough. My in-laws keep an old 96 S-10 around for a spare vehicle for us kids who might need it. It had 160k and has been in pretty bad shape since my dad-in-law got it three years ago. My bro-in-law recently had it for over a year and a half and beat the crap out of it! I removed the interior this weekend and cleaned the carpet, seats, trim, painted the seat rails, hardware, cleaned the glass, headliner, charged the air conditioning (never worked, now blows cold), and biggest thing was I Seafoam'd the little 2.5L 4-banger. It had a bad miss and rough idle. I seafoam'd it and now it runs like a champ. However, it still has an ABS light, Brake warning light, and a Service Engine Light, with an occasional Check Gages light. I don't kow whats up with the check gages. The temp gauge is broke, and the oil pressure is real low at idle. I"m getting the oil changed in a few minutes as I don't think it has been changed since my bro-in-law took it.

Questions I have-

How can I fix the temp gage

What kind of tranny does this have? Is it a 4L60E?

Any reason why the interior light keeps blowing fuses as soon as I put on in?

Check gauges light is on more then likley due to a bad temp guage, and/or low oil.
To fix the temp guage, check the wiring connectors for corrosion. Clean them up and see if that fixes your guage problem, if not you may have to replace the guage itself.

The ABS light is on becuase the ABS has been turned off.
The brake light is on becuase the brakes are low on fluid, no doubt because the brakes are wore out, or almost wore out, or you have a brake fluid leak. Check your brakes at all four corners. Make sure you still have brake fluid in the resivior. IF the brakes are wore out and you add brake fluid, when you replace the brake pads/rotors, all the fluid you just added will get pushed out, unless you bleed the caliper as you compress them.

This is an S10 site. Specifically an S10-Blazer site. Your in the right place and welcome.
If you were my in-law, I would consider selling you the truck for almost nothing. Sounds like your taking responsibility for it, and in my book that goes a long way.

LT1KICKER 08-03-2006 02:04 PM

Thanks guys. I couldn't remember if it was a 2.5 or 2.2L. My mistake. I have been driving it all week. In fact, I put 100 miles on it on $10 worth of gas [8D]

I'm mostly an LT1 guy, so I shouldn't have too hard a time to get these problems addressed. I also noticed the tranny fluid is in pretty bad shape, so I hope to change that this weekend. I noticed the check gages light clicks on when the oil pressure goes low at idle. My LT1 cars do the same thing, low oil pressure in hot weather at idle, but no check gages lights on these cars. I didn't know if I should worry about it. Just had a fresh oil change (Pennzoil 10/30).

Hanr3 08-04-2006 12:39 AM

I thought the recommended oil was 5w-30. The 10w might be too thick and could be cuasing your low oil pressures.