Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   97 blazer electrical problem (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/97-blazer-electrical-problem-4998/)

mattphillips4 08-17-2006 11:43 PM

97 blazer electrical problem

I have a 97 blazer that you almost always have to crank twice. It will go dead once right away then cranks and runs. Sometimes it will go dead at the next stop. Then it will do fine until you get in it the next time.
I did notice when this all started, that if you turned the key to the "ON" position sometimes nothing would come on. The starter would turn the engine over, but the fuel pump or nothing else would be running. You could turn it off then back on and everything would work again.
Today it tried to go dead while going down the road but came back alive. Lights on dash started to come on then it regained power.
Any suggestions would be appreciated as I'm thinking Ignition switch, or relay
Thanks

Jersey Autotronics 08-17-2006 11:57 PM

RE: 97 blazer electrical problem

i'd say ign switch also but your year blazer also has a passlock system that would have showed you signs as your factory alarm not operating correctly or in your case making u recrank your truck more than once,but the ign wouldn't really cause your truck to loose power while driving u said all kind of lights started flashing sounds more like an alternater problem more like it's not charging: have u checked if it's charging best way to test would be with a multimeter but if u don't have one start u'r truck and once it's running at idle open your hood and disconnect the positive lead(red) from your battery and if truck shuts off then it means your alternator is SHOT time to replace............. good luck!

Jersey Autotronics 08-18-2006 12:00 AM

also make sure your alternator belt is tight if it loose then u might not have to replace alt. and maybe just belt

mattphillips4 08-18-2006 12:24 AM

has no factory alarm that I'm aware of, alternator is fine. Looking more and more like ignition switch.
Thanks for the Reply!

Aquahallic 08-18-2006 08:19 AM

HEY! DON'T GO pullin' your posative lead on the alternator with the truck runnin'... that's BAD BAD BAD...... there's a bridge rectifier in there and there's a voltage regulator that could catch a spike and blow that SOB to hell and back... I've seen it happen MANY MANY MANY times!

best way to check your alternator is fire up the engine and load the HELL outta the electrical (bright lights A/C and blower on MAX door open so dome is on) all that jazz... then put a meter across the battery and reach over and pull the throttle cable to bring it above an idle and you should see the voltage climb on it. If ya don't have a meter either go get a 20 dollar one from Rat Shack (ANYONE that works on a vehicle should have one) OR hit your local autoparts store and they'll usually have a tester they can hookup to it and tell ya! the older vehicles you could pull that alternator off while runnin' and wouldn't do too much damage usually... these newer ones... they're usin' parts in the regulators (internal of the alternator) that are just up to spec. they used to WAY over compensate on the older (external) regulators so they wouldn't blow quite as easy

lastcoupe 08-18-2006 03:09 PM

This is DEFINITELY an ignition switch, not the lock cylinder, the electrical ignition switch. I've seen this a few dozen times, even happened on MY OWN 97 Blazer. Put a switch in it.

kaindragoon36 08-22-2006 04:45 AM

I am having this exact same problem, except I can hear the relays in the glovebox click every time it happens. It's also accompanied by all the gauge lights going out, and the running lights turning off. Someimes, the airbag light will start blinking again, and then it'll go off and the engine will die. The way the relay clicks, seems to me almost like it isn't getting enough juice so it shuts off. But I'm gonna get the alt and the battery tested tomorrow. And by ignition switch, do you mean the solenoid? Or the actually cylinder? I'm trying to find this in a Chiltons manual just to get a gist of what I'm going to need to do, and to get a mechanic to do it, or get a buddy of mine who's good with cars to help.

Thanks!

mattphillips4 08-22-2006 11:26 AM

ignition switch fixed the problem

Thanks

lastcoupe 08-22-2006 04:15 PM

And by ignition switch, do you mean the solenoid? Or the actually cylinder?
This is the ELECTRICAL switch, It mounts to the steering column...right underneath the Ignition lock cylinder (what you put your key into when you start the engine) Yours has the same problem throw one in it.

Thanks
Glad to hear you did the right thing.

Benado 08-28-2006 12:29 PM

ORIGINAL: lastcoupe

And by ignition switch, do you mean the solenoid? Or the actually cylinder?
This is the ELECTRICAL switch, It mounts to the steering column...right underneath the Ignition lock cylinder (what you put your key into when you start the engine) Yours has the same problem throw one in it.

Thanks
Glad to hear you did the right thing.
You make it sound pretty simple to change out the ign switch, which is what I think I need to do. Could you post some step-by-step instructions?

The only Benado wondering just how easy it is to change out an ign switch.