General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

98 Jimmy: Cranks but will not start. (Got it to start yesturday after long time cranking.)

Old 06-29-2006, 01:56 PM
apekim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 98 Jimmy: Cranks but will not start. (Got it to start yesturday after long time cranking.)

Hi-

My wife could not get her 1998 Jimmy started the other day. I got home and tried it, and could not get it to start. After a while of cranking I got it to start. When I tried to quickly rev up the engine from under the hood, it starting missing and there was some smoke out the tailpipe which cleared up after holding it at high rpm for a few seconds. I did notice a small continuous shock coming from the coil when my hand got close to it. So I left it running for about 15 minutes, and then we took it for a ride. It seemed to run and start fine after that.

The next day it would not start again. Later in the day, I still could not get it to start. I tried my spare coil on it, but it did not start. I did not bolt the spare coil up to the braket, I just plugged the distributer wire and power wire to it and leaned it against the other coil. Still nothing.

Seems to be some moisture on the outside of the distributer cap.
Alot of rain here recently.

No fuses blown. Seems like the fuel pump is running.

Don't know what else to check.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 06-29-2006, 02:31 PM
Starting Member
lunatic_magnet is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 98 Jimmy: Cranks but will not start. (Got it to start yesturday after long time cranking.)

sounds like maybe the ignition control module (it's inside the distributor)...
if you have power going into the distributor but nothing at the coil that's a usual suspect...

Old 06-29-2006, 03:02 PM
Default RE: 98 Jimmy: Cranks but will not start. (Got it to start yesturday after long time cranking.)

Of the two contacts on the coil, which should have voltage? And how much?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 06-29-2006, 03:13 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

You should have 10.0 volt at terminal "A" with the key on, engine not running

Old 06-29-2006, 05:15 PM
DINO55 is an unknown quantity at this point

I belive that the coil has to be bolted to the bracket to work properly(GROUND),
Also when was the last time you did a full tune up to that 98?

ACdelco platinum plugs Gapped at 60
New cap
New rotor
Wires
PCV
New Airfilter
New Fuelfilter
Cleaned the MAF sensor

Old 06-29-2006, 05:50 PM

A few years back I did a full tune-up on it. At that time I replaced the coil, ICM, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and air filter. Not sure why I was getting a shock when I had gotten it running. With my hand under the hood...on the throttle, my finders were really close to the coil and I got continuously zapped.

Mike

Old 06-29-2006, 06:02 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Check your coil wire resistance. It should be about 10,000 ohms per inch. It sounds like you're spark is leaking to the engine, no way should you feel shock as you described.
I check for spark leaks at night when it's dark, I take a spray bottle with a fine mist and spray around my distributor, coil and plug wires to see if any spark jumps.
Just another idea.

Old 06-29-2006, 06:04 PM
BF Veteran

Sorry, that's 1,000 ohms per inch, not 10,000....oops

Old 06-30-2006, 10:38 AM

Hi-
Thanks for the replys.

I did a tune up on it last night and got it to run for a short time. It then began to lack power and fart out the exhaust and the muffler was popping. Also a very strong smell of sulfer. I tried to take it down the road bu there was not enough power to barely creep. And it stalled several times. I am guessing maybe the exhaust is clogged. I will start another post on it.

Mike