Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Any suggestions!! (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/any-suggestions-6326/)

ken erestu 10-30-2006 09:18 PM

Any suggestions!!

Hello guys,
Finally, I have a chance to take a long drive in my Blazer. It is a 1991 Blazer with a 4.3ltr V6, TBI and has an automatic transmission and has less than 60, 000 original miles. It will be a two hour drive in one direction.

I have been experiencing driveability issues since I bought the car that include;

-poor acceleration
-slight misfire when cold
-rough idle
-blue smoke out the tailpipe when I start her in the morning[/font]

My gas mileage is okay, although I don't really know what I should expect.

I have already changed the plugs, wires, cap & rotor. The oil was recently changed and recently added some injector cleaner to the fuel tank. I also use 92 octane gasoline.

Any ideas on products I can in use anticipation of the drive. I am open to all suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

USMaverick101 10-30-2006 09:33 PM

RE: Any suggestions!!

did you have the right gapping in the spark plugs? I had the same problem, i used the wrong gap, i was using .035 when it should have been .045. Does it make any ticking noises in idle, like a skipping noise coming from the exhaust, or is it a strong idle?

USMaverick101 10-30-2006 09:35 PM

I would also check the EGR valve. Try cleaning it with carb cleaner. Be careful though becuase the metal may be delicate.

Dory 10-31-2006 04:05 PM

Blue smoke? How is your head gasket? have you checked the oil for antifreeze?

ken erestu 10-31-2006 04:18 PM

Dory,
The blue smoke is only at start up in the morning when it sits overnight. Not at any other time.
I check the oil regularly and it looks like is should--no coolant or anything that doesn't belong.
There are no oil leaks anywhere. Thank God!

Mav-
The plugs are properly gapped. I don't believe I will have time to remove and clean the EGR valve before I take the long drive tomorrow but I plan to remove and clean it when I return.
The ticking noise is from the distributor. Occasionally, I noticed what sounds like a slight miss.

I figure that because the car wasn't driven very much (it currently has 57,790 original miles) there may be a lot of carbon build up and was looking for suggestions for products to loosen and/or remove during the long drive.

Thanks.

swartlkk 10-31-2006 06:06 PM

I have had this happen to my Chevelle and it turned out to be improper valve seals, but worn valve seals could do the same thing. New valve seals on the 350 in my Chevelle cured my problem.

ken erestu 10-31-2006 08:54 PM

Kyle,
I believe it is worn valve seals that cause the blue smoke in the mornings. What should I expect in terms of costs when/if I have this taken care of?

Also, in reviewing some of the old messages, I noticed that you recommend Seafoam in the crankcase to loosen and remove deposits before a long drive. Would you also recommend a can of Seafoam in the fuel tank or crankcase for the above listed problems?

Thank you.

swartlkk 10-31-2006 09:30 PM

If you can do the work yourself, a set of valve seals isn't all that expensive, but you do need an on-engine valve spring compressor, an air compressor, and an adapter to get from your air system to the spark plug thread. You'd apply air pressure to the cylinder after the rockers are off, use the spring compressor to compress the spring so you can remove the retainer locks. Remove the retainer and spring, then the old valve seal can be removed and new put in. Reassemble reverse of disassembly. You'd also want to get a new set of valve cover gaskets.

But really, you need to assess how much oil you are loosing before undertaking such a repair. It isn't exactly a quick, easy repair for the average shade tree mechanic.

As far as seafoam in the crankcase, I have never done it, but know a lot of people that have. No one has ever had anything bad to say about it after they've done it. I wouldn't do it before a long drive. Typically, you'd add it to the crankcase and maybe drive it for a day or so, then change the oil. Follow up with another oil change 3k miles or sooner after that, then go about your business. In the fuel, it acts as a fuel injector cleaner/conditioner, but there are better products for that purpose.