Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   axle for 98 chevy blazer (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/axle-98-chevy-blazer-6308/)

walkingtall 10-29-2006 10:10 PM

axle for 98 chevy blazer

Hey guys
I was wondering if i could upgrade to a bigger front axle in my blazer and if so what would i have to replace in order to do so thanks any info would really help

Hanr3 10-29-2006 10:32 PM

RE: axle for 98 chevy blazer

Only way your getting a bigger front axle is to do a solid axle swap. Then I would recommend a Dana44 or Dana60.

If your serious about the solid axle swap. Check out http://www.s10extremist.org/forums/

walkingtall 10-29-2006 10:39 PM

what kind of axle is in the back is that a solid axle.

Hanr3 10-29-2006 10:54 PM

Yes, it is a solid axle.
Should be 7 5/8. If oyu want to upgrade the rear axle, you could swap in a ZR2 rear axle. They are GM 10bolts with 8 1/2" R&P. Basically a shortened fullsize truck axle. If I remember right the ZR2 rear is about 3" wider then yours.

walkingtall 10-29-2006 10:58 PM

maybe you can help me what i wanted to do is put a limited slip diff in the rear and put one up front but i have to upgrade the axle to do so and was just checking on them don't really know to much about axles. but i was told that the front axle was too small or could not handle a traction adding device such as a limited slip. what do you think would be best when i change the axle would i have to get a whole new diff to sorry for all the questions.

Hanr3 10-29-2006 11:08 PM

Ask as many questions as you want.

Heres the deal and things may have changed in the past year. I started out to do the same as you. Traction device up front and in back. I ran into a road block for the front axle. Namely, no one makes a traction device for our front differentail. The rear isn't as hard to find, and I would stick to a lunch box locker over the limited slip. A lunch box locker will go into the carrier of an open differentail rear axle. Same place a limited slip would go, however you cannot take a limited slip out and put a luchbox locker in its place. In my honest opinion the best locker for the money for our trcuks is an Aussie locker. Do a web search for them.

With this locker int eh rear axle there wont be much you cannot do. Granted the front is still open, however if you work the brakes lightly you can get traction to both front tires at the same time, even if one is off teh ground. Takes a little foot work, but doable.

Once you exceed the capabilities of the stock set-up, consider a solid axle swap.

Hanr3 10-29-2006 11:13 PM

Difference between a limited slip and lunchbox locker?
Limited skip will allow the wheels to turn at different speeds, even when fully engaged. Plus it wont engage until you develop enough wheel speed. In other words your tires need to lose traction and spinning in order for it to engage. Not the best thing when your trying to walk over something.

With a lunchbox locker, both wheels on the same axle always turn at least at the same speed. Then when in aturn the outside tire turns faster.

the difference is that with a limited slip, one tire wont get power until you lose traction. With the Aussie locker, both tires always have power no matter what. In my honest opinion, haveing the power all the time will prevent you from getting stuck in the first place. While a limited slip, you gotta get stuck before it starts to work.

walkingtall 10-30-2006 12:57 AM

I was think about getting a locker for the rear but i read that they don't handle well while driving on the highway like in turns and stuff like that is that true or not and can the stock axle and diff handle a locker in rear

Hanr3 10-30-2006 01:40 AM

Thats why I like the Aussie locker. Doesn't ahve all those wierd handling quirks some of the other lockers do. Do a webserach and check out there site.

As for axle durability.
You can break anything.

walkingtall 10-30-2006 09:05 AM

Is that what you have in your truck the aussie locker, how do you like it, what do you have it in i checked out their website they look pretty good what about the arb locker i also checked them out don't know if they would fit though.