Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Bad Wires??? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/bad-wires-5362/)

Aquahallic 09-07-2006 11:22 PM

Bad Wires???

Well the other night I found that my coil was goin' bad... so I replaced it and this morning it seemed to run pretty damn good... then on the way home today it started givin' me that chuggin' mess again... so tonight I went out there and looked again in the dark and even the new coil had some blue lighting up around the outside of the coil (brand new) it's more around the metal core.... so I look a little closer at all the wires and I can see blue dancing ALL OVER the wires... specially where they're close to something metal (ground) so I got brave and put my finger on the coil wire and sure enough it went around my finger but didn't hurt looked more like static to me... is this normal??? I've NEVER seen wires throw off static like that.... and I also got to lookin' at the boot that goes over the plugs... and you can see blue all around THEM TOO and every so often you'll hear a *POP* full fledged arc and I was lookin' through the wheel well and watchin' the passenger side where I heard the *POP* comin' from the other night and I finally caught it... it's passenger front plug boot and when I heard the pop I saw it... and I check the wires and there's no burn spots or even a blemish on them.... I'm assuming the wires are $hit but why would I see that blue glow around the outside of the coil itself??? is this normal for these coils?? Bad ground maybe?? I don't have ANY problems with starting it or charging or anything.... Maybe run a nice ground strap right to the coil bracket from the battery ground??

Ok rule out puttin' a ground strap on there... I just went out there and put a wire on the negative battery terminal to the metal core around the coil... and the wires still have blue dancin' around them when ya rev it up.... I'm thinkin' $hit wires....

Chevy Lover 09-08-2006 02:14 AM

RE: Bad Wires???

Ya, it sounds like bad wires. The coil might be working harder than it has to if you have corrosion on the cap and rotor also.
I just replaced my wires last weekend for the same (intermittent) chugging problem. When I pulled the wires off the cap I saw that the terminals on the cap were corroded, so I replaced the cap and rotor as well. Now she purrs like a kitten....unless I put my foot to the floor, then she sreams like a banchee...Whaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

And no, you shouldn't have any blue spark leaking from the wires

Aquahallic 09-08-2006 07:15 AM

yeah it didn't seem to right to me either... guess we ALL know what I'll be doin' this weekend....;)

Thx for the input...:)

DetroitMuscle 09-08-2006 09:32 AM

9 out of 10 times is JUST the coil wire and not the others.