Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Black Boxes ? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/black-boxes-5409/)

Whittaker 09-10-2006 05:31 PM

Black Boxes ?

Do our Blazers have those black boxes that record all of your electronic data ? Some of the vehicles had them under the driver's seat, but now they are located in various places, and they are actually unpainted metal, not black.

swartlkk 09-10-2006 07:09 PM

RE: Black Boxes ?

Record all electrical data... As in what? Like everything the vehicle has done since new... I am not aware of ANY vehicle having such a device, atleast not any private vehicles in the US. I know that there are a few vehicels where the PCM will take a freeze frame of all sensor inputs & outputs either when a fault is detected or when the airbags are deployed. I also think I have read something about vehicles that will record up to 5 minutes of data in a continuous loop and store that data when the airbags are deployed.

But no... I believe it would be against the constitution to record everything that a vehicle has done, or even excessive speed incidents or the like.

In NY, it is even very rare that the freeze frame or recorded data of any kind is used in the event of a crash. It alteast requires a court order to use.

Hanr3 09-11-2006 12:19 AM

Swart,
I think you may need to bone up on the vehicle black boxes.

They are in use, and they have been used in court. They are a topic that is slowely making its way into the spot light. They record the last 5 seconds before a crash. Record things like seat belt usage, speed, braking, turning, etc.

1996BZR 09-11-2006 02:49 AM

I think it is not right to have that....what's next? Are they gonna have cameras in your house monitoring your every move?

swartlkk 09-11-2006 09:06 AM

I know that there have been some recording devices (as my post included), but I thought he was referring to something that recorded EVERYTHING since new, which isn't the case. And just about all of the vehicles so equiped will not store any information unless an airbag has been deployed.

I also know that the information has been used in court, but not for the everyday driver falling asleep type of crash. When necessary, a court order is required for this information to be admissable in the proceedings. For that reason, it is normally only requested when it's a criminal trial or where circumstances require it.

BigGreenMonster 09-11-2006 09:30 AM

I dont know about black boxes, but I had an ODBII scan on my cougar and it threw a code for rev limiter/speed limiter maxed.. so Id say somebody is tattle tailing.

BigGreenMonster 09-11-2006 09:36 AM

ORIGINAL: 1996BZR

I think it is not right to have that....what's next? Are they gonna have cameras in your house monitoring your every move?

Oh come on... big brother isnt that bad.. lol.. He just wants a camera in your bathroom to watch you pee, and to watch you eat and to call your aunt Edna. Oh and sometimes he will need you to spot him some cash when he blows it all on strippers and interns. [sm=icon_cheers.gif]
I really couldnt care less if some loser CIA wants to tap my computer and hear me BS on BF :)

RonJon 09-11-2006 04:32 PM

On the other hand in a (theoretical) accident if the other driver said "I went through the stop sign oh so carefully, I don't know WHERE he came from!" and checking the black box in thier car showed they were doing 50MPH in a 30 and no brake application in the last 5 seconds... I can see both sides of it.

lastcoupe 09-11-2006 05:35 PM

Guys these are actually called Suplemental Restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Modules. or SDM's (at least in G.M. vehicles). This is out of G.M.'s Service Manual.

Vehicle Data Collection and Event Data Recorders
Your vehicle, like other modern motor vehicles, has a number of sophisticated computer systems that monitor and control several aspects of the vehicle's performance. Your vehicle uses on-board vehicle computers to monitor emission control components to optimize fuel economy, to monitor conditions for airbag deployment and, if the vehicle has the Anti-lock Brake System (ABS), to provide anti-lock braking and to help the driver control the vehicle in difficult driving situations. Some information may be stored during regular operations to facilitate repair of detected malfunctions; other information is stored only in a crash event by computer systems, such as those commonly called Event Data Recorders (EDR).

In a crash event, computer systems, such as the airbag Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM) in your vehicle may record information about the condition of the vehicle and how it was operated, such as data related to engine speed, brake application, throttle position, vehicle speed, safety belt usage, airbag readiness, airbag performance, and the severity of a collision. This information has been used to improve vehicle crash performance and may be used to improve crash performance of future vehicles and driving safety. Unlike the data recorders on many airplanes, these on-board systems do not record sounds, such as conversation of vehicle occupants To read this information, special equipment is needed and access to the vehicle or the device that stores the data is required. GM will not access information about a crash event or share it with others other than:

• with the consent of the vehicle owner or, if the vehicle is leased, with the consent of the lessee,

• in response to an official request of police or similar government office,

• as part of GM's defense of litigation through the discovery process, or

• as required by law.

In addition, once GM collects or receives data, GM may:

• use the data for GM research needs,

• make it available for research where appropriate confidentiality is to be maintained and need is shown, or

• share summary data which is not tied to a specific vehicle with non-GM organizations for research purposes.

Others, such as law enforcement, may have access to the special equipment that can read the information if they have access to the vehicle or the device that stores the data.

If your vehicle has OnStar®, please check the OnStar® subscription service agreement or owner manual for information on its operations and data collection.

XBlazer01 09-11-2006 05:39 PM

I prolly effed mine up with my stereo. :D

STOCK ALTERNATOR FTW

sry random