Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Borgeson Intermediate Shaft? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/borgeson-intermediate-shaft-2840/)

SniperX13 03-15-2006 12:48 AM

Borgeson Intermediate Shaft?

I've been reading about my type of blazer,and I have read that alot of the rag joints in the stock OEM intermediate shift wear out very quickly, and that leads to alot of mushy steering with alot of play in the wheel.

Well, I have a decent amount of play in the steering, and my friend said he replaced the shaft 3 years ago, but I was curious if anyone here had purchased the Borgeson Shaft and noticed a huge difference because it has a U-joint, instead of a rag joint.

thanks.

Hanr3 03-15-2006 01:32 AM

RE: Borgeson Intermediate Shaft?

I haven't done it yet, however you can get a Jeep steering shaft to work, and it is u-joints instead of rag jointed.

SniperX13 03-15-2006 02:22 AM

I read that article that the one guy wrote, about using the shaft from a 94 jeep I believe, but that was also alot more work then the Borgeson if I remember correctly. I am not the most mechanically inclined person in this world, and I am also looking at the cheaper in the long run catagory too.

4lowlife 03-15-2006 03:33 AM

Then acquire a ZQ8 steering box ($400.00?) The shaft and that will take the "ye olde timey" driving fun out!

DINO55 03-15-2006 03:36 AM

Borgeson Will only custom make a shaft for your truck (BIG BUCKS), I already called about my 1998 blazer's ragjoint. I had Steering slop in mine and put in new upper and lower balljoints, the steering was still the same. Everything was checked and tight in the front end. I inspected my ragjoint and it was tight. It was only after I changed out my Steering gear box, the slop was gone, steering is like brand new.I no longer fear driving 65-75mph on the Expressway anymore. Check out your steering box's. My truck had 80,000 on it and it was worn out. It was the best $190.00 Dollars and 1hour to install it i've spent on the truck to date....

[sm=gears.gif]

4lowlife 03-15-2006 03:41 AM

Ahh, good. Was installation easy? what was the easiest way to access it? From underneath?

DINO55 03-15-2006 04:22 AM

Yes, It was simple,
3- 16mm bolts holding the steering box on the frame. Remove front wheel...
1 -13mm holding the intermedite shaft on,
2 lines on the top of the pump and one pittman arm puller
( $10.00 bux at murrays auto parts )

4lowlife 03-15-2006 05:35 AM

Thanks for the info. Did a new pitman arrive with the steering box?

DINO55 03-15-2006 11:30 AM

Negitive, I have a 2wd and I used my old Pittman arm. However if your truck is a 4wd, it is recomended that a new pittmann arm be installed with it. I accessed this job through the wheel, top and bottom of the truck, on a scale from 1-10, this job was a #3 to complete. It's kinda funny, when I was done with it, I had to relearn how to drive it all over again because the steering is very responsive now...

[sm=gears.gif]

4lowlife 03-15-2006 02:53 PM

I'll have to wait for awhile. It's back in the 30's and in the 20's at night.