Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Broken Seat-back adjuster... (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/broken-seat-back-adjuster-4647/)

cherryred4x4 07-30-2006 12:28 PM

Broken Seat-back adjuster...

There is a very common problem with the seat back adjusters on 1994-2004 S-10 Pickups and Blazers. The handle to adjust the seat back breaks off in your hand, or just falls off on its own one day as mine did. The problem is the material used for the shaft that the handle is attached to, it is a very soft pot-metal and cracks easily where the clip holds the handle to the shaft.

Now the fix...
If you go to the dealership, they will sell you the same assembly that requires removing the seat, taking it apart, and replacing it with the same part that will break again, and will cost a decent amount of $.
This problem is so common that many companies sell a differently designed handle. <edit-redesigned part available, much better than first design>
You can find this handle at Auto Zone under the brand name "Needa?"
Advance Auto and Pep Boys under the name "HELP!"
Online from Witty Deals - Clickand probably many other local parts stores. They are manufactured in several factory-matching colors also. These replacement handles range in price from $20-$30, which is much cheaper than the over $90 factory part. These replacement handles use a set screw in the groove on the shaft.

lastcoupe 07-30-2006 02:33 PM

RE: Broken Seat-back adjuster...FIXED!

This is some very usefull information, but alot of it is wrong. The factory used two different types of handle retainers one is the window crank style clip that you speek of, but MOST of them are retained by a torx head screw through the center of the handle (If you look at the picture in the link you posted you can see the screw still in the handle that broke off). Also it is not necessary to "remove the seat" to replace this recliner mechanism. I've changed hundreds of these things and you can do it in about 10 minutes with the seat in-place (if anyone needs a walk-thru this repair procedure e-mail me and I'll gladly help) and G.M. DID update the design of the replacement recliner making it more robust at the point of fracture. You can buy the updated part from a dealer for around $50.00 and you can reuse your original handle in most cases but they did also update the handle design. It is a little more expensive and a little more involved than the method you suggest, and I'm not trying to be argumentative, but it is a proper fix and not a band-aid type repair.

cherryred4x4 07-30-2006 05:11 PM

What year did they update the design? What changes did they make during the redesign. I ordered one of the stock replacements myself 2 years ago for $80 something + tax when mine broke and it was identical to the broken one I have now. If the redesigned one is only $50, then I'll try it. I'm just trying to let people on the forum know about these, since there are lots of us with broken handles. Also, mine is a 60/40 front with the folding console, I looked at it and it looks like I have to pull the seat out. The bucket seats must be different.

lastcoupe 07-30-2006 06:24 PM

I think the update was 12-18 months ago. I'm not sure if they updated the ones that are retained by a clip, but you could replace it with the updated one, you would have to get the handle and screw also though. As far as the seats go It doesn't matter what type of seat it is, this is only the outside recliner. You just separate the material on the seat-back (has what is called "J-Channel clips) and the same on the outboard edge of the seat bottom cover. Then you can access the 4 13mm head bolts that retain the recliner, pop the cable off that connects it to the inboard recliner and pull the recliner through the seat bottom cover and you're ready to install the new one. I get a huge discount on all G.M parts I will check "my cost" on this tommorow and I'll be glad to pass the savings on to you if you want it. You'll just have to pay the shipping. What color is your interior? and what seat do you need one for? (Driver's or passenger's)

cherryred4x4 07-30-2006 10:06 PM

Its a light gray driver's side, that would be great, thank you. I installed the parts store one and it works but they only had charcoal in stock. The update being 12-18 months ago would explain why they tried to sell me the same part last time, luckily the seat back was in the right position when it broke. It's kind of funny that they come out with the update over a year after they stop producing Blazers.

lastcoupe 07-31-2006 03:15 PM

Well fist off I would like to appologize to all (and especially Cherryred4x4) for the bad information![sm=imsorry.gif]

It turns out that when G.M. did redesign them they also doubled the old price!! List is now a whopping $156.00. [sm=boosign.gif]

I'm sure you don't want to spend this kind of Jack on it but my cost is $98.00 and they did update the handle as well ($13.00 List $6.00 my cost). Anyway, again I am sorry, Next time I'll research it BEFORE I spout off my mouth!

cherryred4x4 07-31-2006 08:42 PM

Its ok, I'll do with the fix-it handle, if I get some extra cash I might have you get the updated part for me. I have to see tomorrow if the local dealership got the right section of the parking brake cable for me, the nut on the threaded section at the equalizer is rusted solid and I cant tighten my parking brake. It kind of drained my funds for dealership-only parts.

cherryred4x4 08-01-2006 03:50 PM

lastcoupe, will the updated part for the 99 fit in my 95 seat? the parts guy helped me out and gave me the part under my dad's company account for $60, list was $90 on it, also got the screw type handle and screw. He helped me out on my parking brake cable and equalizer, so I was able to afford the updated recliner