Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   A/C and Cooling Issue (Noob) (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/c-cooling-issue-noob-4690/)

blazerlt96 08-01-2006 08:38 PM

A/C and Cooling Issue (Noob)

I just purchased my first blazer and its a 96 LT 4dr 4x4 fully loaded. Its got the 4.3, hope thats not obvious. LOL

Anyways, The a/c blows cold and works great. On the highway and early city driving the temp is around 170 - 190, but after awhile of city driving it starts to go up past half. I didnt let it go past maybe 220 - 225 (not close to 3/4 of the way up). Is this normal. If Im not running a/c cooling doesnt seem to be an issue. It will go to 210 and cool right down. Please give me some info thanks

Aquahallic 08-01-2006 08:46 PM

RE: A/C and Cooling Issue (Noob)

I'd flush hell outta that radiator and take a garden hose with some GOOD pressure and blow the condensor and radiator fins out WELL. and make sure there's nuttin' all clogged up in it. I know in Fl we have those HORRID lovebugs for a month or 2 outta every year sometimes 3 months... and they will flat JAM UP some cooling fins. That'd be the first place I'd start. Check the fan clutch too while you're at it... Then if that doesn't do it I'd hit the A/C with some guages and make sure you're hi and low side pressures are within range. too much freon will cause that high side to go too high and cause more heat outta the condensor.

JustBlaze! 08-02-2006 02:14 PM

Check the thermostat also while your following Aquahallic's advice. While you're checking the fan clutch as he adviced, also check to make sure that your water pump is not leaking; there's a weep hole that pisses coolant when your seals go and is a sign that all is not good with your water pump.

flowmasta 08-02-2006 05:02 PM

i also suggest a radiator flush.....i don't no if its just 96 models but overall i think blazers run a little on the warm side

1996BZR 08-03-2006 01:18 AM

might want to check your fluid levels (such as radiator) to see if it is up to par. Thermostat could be stickin.

Oh, and my 1996 almost never hits 210.

blazerlt96 08-03-2006 08:00 AM

My mechanic thinks its either a water pump or thermostat. He is gonna check it out is a few days. I hope its something small and quick. I think im going to have him change from dex-cool to the green stufff too. Thanks guys and keep posting up

swartlkk 08-03-2006 08:29 AM

I'd switch from dexcool to Prestone's All Makes All Models Extended Life antifreeze if you were going to switch. It is compatible with all types, and won't cause any issues with any remaining dexcool that may be in the system. This is what I am using in my vehicles and that is primarily because it was cheaper than the dexcool, but still the same extended life.

Dory 08-03-2006 11:17 AM

Hmm... mine ran like 220 yesterday with the a/c on, but it was like 102 degrees outside. so you cant blame the car for running that hot. it didnt overheat or even get NEAR 260... so to me thats still just fine. the radiator was cleaned out when i first got the truck a few months back and everything was working fine.

blazerlt96 08-03-2006 05:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Dory

Hmm... mine ran like 220 yesterday with the a/c on, but it was like 102 degrees outside. so you cant blame the car for running that hot. it didnt overheat or even get NEAR 260... so to me thats still just fine. the radiator was cleaned out when i first got the truck a few months back and everything was working fine.
At 220 did the truck start to cool back down or did it stay there. When I dont run the A/C it stays between 1/4 and 1/2 (210). If I run A/C it has gone to 220 but I shut it off before I let it get any hotter. Also this is when I am driving in the city with traffic and alot of lights. Will this make a difference? Should I let it run? If so how hot should I let it get before I turn the A/C and start the heater? Thanks guyz.

Hanr3 08-04-2006 12:24 AM

Strange, when mine gets to above 210 my a/c stops working. It shuts off until the coolant temp drops to below 210 and then the a/c comes back on.