Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Cab swap. (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/cab-swap-5144/)

ceanern 08-26-2006 04:12 PM

Cab swap.

alright was curious how hard it would be to swap a non zr2 to a zr2 frame? Possible impossible? semi easy/medium difficulty? Was just offered a complete frame and suspension from a zr2 for $200 delivered to my door step. Just curious if it would something that would be easily done or if it wouldn't be easily done? Or if it is even possible. Or would it be worth the $200 for just the suspension parts. Like torsion bars and leaf springs for my non-zr2? I just picked up torsion bars as well. Not sure if anyone has installed any but will probably work a write up w/ pics if possible. But any how any info would be greatly appreciated.

lastcoupe 08-26-2006 06:05 PM

RE: Cab swap.

Being your's is a two-door this is definitely possible, and would actually be quite easy, very easy if you have access to a 2-post automotive type lift. It would still take an entire day or two, but remove the front clip as an assembly (hood,fenders,inner fenders,radiator support,grille,lamps etc..). disconnect the steering and raise the body off of the chassis. Of course you'll have to deal with fuel/brake components and lines and wiring but everything bolts on. Roll the chassis out and swap your drivetrain over then roll the new one under the body, lower it and reassemble. Now you're ready for some serious off-roading!!! I would suggest that in the process you put in some 2 or 3 inch blocks to raise the rear because the ZR2's always sag in the back.

You could always just swap out he suspension components too. But the ZR2 spring perches are welded on and they are alot taller (giving the lift in the rear) I think the rear springs are the same as non ZR2's but I could be wrong on this.

ceanern 08-26-2006 08:03 PM

trying to picture what your talking about with the spring perches. The only perches I know is the shock perches. And I believe mine go directly to the blazer or possibly the frame. I don't remember right now since it was last summer I changed my rear shocks. Is that what you are meaning? I'm trying to think if it would be worth the money for just swaping out leafs/torsion bars and keys. I'm figuring the keys and bars are some what different. figuring might be able to get a better ideal of what the difference in suspensions are as well. Landlord might get a little mad about all the vehicle parts

lastcoupe 08-26-2006 11:45 PM

The spring perches are the brackets welded to the frame that the eyelets of the leaf springs bolt to. Look at any ZR2 and you'll see what I mean by "taller", they are longer on the ZR2 which moves the frame higher from the ground and that's how they get the lift.