Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   check engine light_ oil pressure gauge (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/check-engine-light_-oil-pressure-gauge-5481/)

guywm25 09-13-2006 12:50 PM

check engine light_ oil pressure gauge

I just recently did an oil change and today while driving to work my check engine light came on. I'm not sure why, but my oil pressure gauge remained high. I did check the oil level by the dipstick and it was fine. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas as to why my check engine light came on and my oil pressue is high please repond

Brian J. Lesko 09-13-2006 06:08 PM

RE: check engine light_ oil pressure gauge

Your check engine light coming on just after doing an oil change is probably just a coincidence. You should go to Auto Zone or to another parts store that will do a free diagnostic scan for you and get your truck checked out. It will only give you a baseline code, but it's a place to start. Your check engine light can come on for any number of reasons.

guywm25 09-14-2006 11:17 PM

I took my blazer to autozone and had them check the code, it came up as P0440- evap emission control system malfunction. The guy could not offer any suggestions, go figure. Does any one have any ideas as to where I may start to diagnose the problem or how it could be corrected, thanks for any replies.

Hanr3 09-15-2006 12:11 AM

yea, tighten your gas cap....

guywm25 09-15-2006 04:48 AM

I replaced my gas cap about 6 -8 months ago. I filled up in the morning and checked the gasket , it was fine, I also checked to make sure it was tight which it was. I may look into a new one though, thanks

guywm25 09-18-2006 02:22 PM

does anyone have an opinion on just cleaning out the EGR valve to eliminate the code problem and if so, any recommedations as to how to clean it.

Brian J. Lesko 09-18-2006 02:28 PM

You can use some carb cleaner. Just take your time and be careful. Don't try to rush it. Auto Zone can also test your EGR valve to let you know if it's any good. I had a problem with mine, so I took it off and cleaned it. My truck was okay for a while then it started acting up again. I took it off and took it to the parts store. They told me that it was shot, so I bought a new one. Can't remember what it cost.

guywm25 09-19-2006 10:22 AM

Thanks for the response I am going to try this and wil repost the results. thanks again

guywm25 10-31-2006 10:45 AM

Hey, weird senario, I have not had the time to look at the EGR valve, but today I was going down a very bumpy road and I suddenly got a whiff a strong sulfur smell coming from my blazer. Shortly after that my check engine light turned off and the vehicle immediately started to run smoother. Any other suggestions or comments? Thanks

Brian J. Lesko 10-31-2006 02:27 PM

Sounds like an EGR valve problem. Remove it and give it a good cleaning then let us know if it helps. I don't know about the sulfur smell. It might be something, or it could have been something outside and have nothing to do with your Blazer. Not sure.