Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Cold Air Intake a letdown (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/cold-air-intake-letdown-2281/)

strongboy2005 02-04-2006 02:12 AM

Cold Air Intake a letdown

Today I recieved my ebay cold air intake (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=8032576829) and I have to say that it has been a complete letdown...

When I first installed it I thought it was great, it made my engine sound really deep like a V-8 and seemed to have better throttle responsiveness in neutral...

Tonight I just finished testing it with my G-tech and I have to say it was a huge letdown...

Just to give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

Stock G-tech quarter mile times:
17.94 @ 75.6 MPH
17.58 @ 77.4 MPH
17.70 @ 76.9 MPH
17.43 @ 79.6 MPH
17.54 @ 78.6 MPH
Average == 17.64 seconds (+- 0.04 seconds)

G-tech numbers with the new intake:
17.77 @ 77.5 MPH
18.02 @ 76.0 MPH
17.99 @ 76.2 MPH
18.09 @ 76.8 MPH
17.90 @ 77.8 MPH
Average == 17.95 (+- 0.02 seconds) [:@]

I have already put the car back to stock and plan to do five more runs again tonight to prove that the new intake was indeed the culprit for my slower numbers tonight... I honestly just could not believe the difference...

On top of the slower times, the engine started making some funny rattling noises that I determined were due to the fact that the intake itself was rattling and made a nasty shaking sound when the car was started... It just didn't feel very solid...

Anyways... I'll post on here if anything changes but as far as I can tell the aftermarket intake did more harm than good...

LittleDan911 02-04-2006 02:42 AM

RE: Cold Air Intake a letdown

Do You Have A Box Around The Cone Filter.... Cause If Not You Pulling In Some Hot Air.....And All Cold Air... And You Try Re-Instaling That Sensor You Took Out Just To See If That Make A Difference

strongboy2005 02-04-2006 07:03 AM

Didn't get a chance to G-tech it stock again... I'll try to get around to it tomorrow...

swartlkk 02-04-2006 11:19 AM

Well, first problem I see is that the filter is open to hot engine bay air. If you were to let it cool COMPLETELY down, and make acouple of runs with the new intake, it would give you an idea of what it will be like with the air filter isolated from engine heat. Also, were these times taken on the same day, roughly the same ambient air temp?

Just another question, where is the IAT sensor located in this setup? I just can't see in the pic on the auction where it would go in... Also, is that filter a K&N? If not, get rid of it! Most wanna-be K&Ns filter like garbage and hold up like garbage.

strongboy2005 02-04-2006 04:02 PM

Actually I think I'm gonna just go with an airbox mod. It will give the engine more of a "stock" look (sleeper), and offer better performance than an open-air cone. Are there any "airbox mod" how-tos or anything like that on this site or elsewhere?

DaveLance 02-04-2006 04:43 PM

Have you upgraded your exhaust to compensate for the higher airflow?

strongboy2005 02-04-2006 04:59 PM

ORIGINAL: DaveLance

Have you upgraded your exhaust to compensate for the higher airflow?
No...

But see that's the thing... It wasn't that I was sad that I didn't get any gains, in fact I had expected it to be so miniscule that my quarter mile times would be the same...

But the upgraded intake made the car run WORSE and SLOWER than stock...

So I could understand if there were zero gains that I could blame it on the exhaust, but I actually took a big loss with the new intake...

strongboy2005 02-04-2006 05:13 PM

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Just another question, where is the IAT sensor located in this setup? I just can't see in the pic on the auction where it would go in... Also, is that filter a K&N? If not, get rid of it! Most wanna-be K&Ns filter like garbage and hold up like garbage.
No, it's not a K&N... The IAT sensor goes in a sealed hole in the pipe leading to the throttle body...

strongboy2005 02-04-2006 06:11 PM

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Also, were these times taken on the same day, roughly the same ambient air temp?

Actually it was a little cooler outside last night than when I got my stock numbers. I would've assumed that would've taken my average numbers in a positive direction...

DaveLance 02-04-2006 06:53 PM

Look at it this way. An intake/exhaust need to balance each other. A stock intake and stock exhaust work properly because they are designed that way. If you increase the amount of air coming in, then you need to increase the amount of exhaust going out. In everyday driving, you may not notice it that much, but since you're running 1/4 miles, you're trying to force the truck to breathe harder and not giving it a way to get rid of the increase in exhaust. You're basically choking the engine.