General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Compressor always on

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 01:09 AM
tycobb280 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Compressor always on

a few weeks ago when i was under my hood i noticed my compresor was on when the switch was set to off. i turned the switch to the a/c possition and then turned it back to off. it turned off. i havent noticed if its been on after that. probably doesnt help just thought id add my 2 cents

Old 10-07-2006, 10:03 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Any luck?

Old 10-08-2006, 12:00 AM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Jman

Its the compressors way of telling you its time for a recharge. Mine does the same thing, I just haven't recharged it yet. So I unplugged it.
INCREDIBLE!! If the system has a low-charge the compressor will...AT MOST...cycle on-and-off...IF it even comes on at all. If it's engauging the compressor clutch all the time with the switch off...It has to have an electrical problem on the CONTROL side of the compressor circuit.

Old 10-08-2006, 12:11 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

ORIGINAL: lastcoupe

]

INCREDIBLE!! If the system has a low-charge the compressor will...AT MOST...cycle on-and-off...IF it even comes on at all. If it's engauging the compressor clutch all the time with the switch off...It has to have an electrical problem on the CONTROL side of the compressor circuit.
No kidding!
Wouldn't that be nice to have nice cold a/c with a "bone dry" system

Old 10-08-2006, 01:52 PM
Jman is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Jman

Its the compressors way of telling you its time for a recharge. Mine does the same thing, I just haven't recharged it yet. So I unplugged it.
If you read all the posts, you would see that I said my system does cycle on and off. I just worded it different. And yes it does come ON.

Old 10-08-2006, 01:55 PM
Jman is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Chevy Lover

]

No kidding!
Yes it would be nice, but if you read all the posts you would see that I agreed it would be an electrical or switch issue when I seen he still had cold air.

Old 10-08-2006, 07:22 PM
1996BZR is an unknown quantity at this point

the selector switch (where you can select max a/c, a/c, head only, feet only, etc.) on my 1996 has vacuum lines connected to it. so the problem is probably in some electrical issue with the pressure on/off switch maybe. this switch has electrical wires connected to it, it is connected to what i believe is the receiver-dryer Unless somehow the selector did break and have the vacuum continuously in a/c position.

this link will may help out on terminology clickety click click

Old 10-08-2006, 07:45 PM
EkStreem G is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Chevy Lover
No kidding!
Uhhhh... yea!!! lol. I'm just bein a *****, for his sake he did correct himself.... can't stop lmao at this.

Old 10-08-2006, 11:02 PM
98blazer12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Took selector switch apart and did not see anything obviously wrong.It did have 3 wires going to it along with vacuum lines.Wish I had checked voltages at switch to see if I had lost power in the off position(hind site is 20 20).A wiring diagram would be nice too.I'll do some more checks when I get time.Thanks for all your input.

Old 10-09-2006, 01:03 AM
BF Veteran

lets see if this works

[IMG]local://upfiles/2910/D83206E746224823AA6BE3B57E02FEFE.gif[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Compressor always on