Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Electrical, possibly fuses. (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/electrical-possibly-fuses-6360/)

Thebeast92 11-01-2006 01:22 PM

Electrical, possibly fuses.

I have a 1992 S10 Blazer 4x4 4 door with about 162,000 miles on it. I have an aftermarket Kenwood cd player installed. A couple of days ago, I noticed after I turned it on that 4Hi was turned one without me doing anything. It eventually went out. Also, my cd player was going crazy, not accepting cds and everything.

Then, the next day, I go to plug in my cell phone charger in the cigarette lighter and I hear a "pop" and saw a little spark. The cigarette lighter does not work anymore and neither does the radio. I thought it could possibly be the radio fuse either on the back of the radio or on the fuse box. However, the dome lights when you enter and leave aren't working either. They won't even turn on manually.

I'm wondernig if any of you have had the same problem, and if it is just a fuse. Or if it is something more complicated like electrical work.

Thank you.

Chevy Lover 11-02-2006 02:51 AM

RE: Electrical, possibly fuses.

I'd say that you popped your fuse for the cig lighter. You might want to check for any crap inside the lighter housing that might have caused a short to ground.

What did you use for power for your cd player? I don't know why that would affect your 4wd lights, unless you tapped in to that circuit to power your player.

keep us posted

DetroitMuscle 11-02-2006 08:26 AM

How are your dash lights? I know in the old days GM used to run their instruments/interior lights/12v supplis and radios off the same fuse.

How long has the player been installed? have you taken it out to make sure none of the wires are touching anything back there?

s_stevens 11-02-2006 08:59 AM

My GF's power locks quit working from the panel on the doors, had to use the remote all the time. There was a penny that fell in the cig lighter and blew a fuse. A friend of mines radio quit one time and there was a trim panel screw in his cig lighter. Wierd things fall in there for some reason. LOL

Thebeast92 11-02-2006 02:24 PM

My CD player has been in for about a year. The dash lights are operating perfectly. Just the interior dome lights do not work and neither does the radio or cigarette thing.

The only thing that's keeping from taking the radio off is two very very small screws. I can't get a good grip on them with pliers since they're in kind of a weird position.

Thankyou for all of your feedback. :)

Thebeast92 11-02-2006 04:58 PM

It's fixed.

Everything was wired up to the horn circuit. My dome lights, my radio and my horn were all on the same 30 fuse. My friend and I are going to rewire it..

A $1.54 fix. Not bad eh?

Thank you!