Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Heater Woes. . . (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/heater-woes-6387/)

a_tack 11-03-2006 05:25 PM

Heater Woes. . .

So, my heater officially stopped working. .. well it blows out air, just not hot air. It sucks and I need it fixed... I just made the two hour drive home with no heat and it is about 40 outside. . . Could it have anything to do with the strange substance leaking out of my dash that I had mentioned in a previous thread????? Please help me... i'm cold. . :(

MNHawk 11-03-2006 05:36 PM

RE: Heater Woes. . .

What color, feel, smell is the fluid you have leaking from under your dash?

If you still have that nasty Orange DEXCOOL in your radiator and your heater core is shot, you will have more then just a heater core to fix.

I am still trouble shooting my heat issue on my 95, but I dont have any leaks.
Mine is more so with the valve control not working right or the signal from the
temp switch not being sent (due to its all electronic).

lastcoupe 11-03-2006 09:22 PM

I can't explain you "strange substance" but I'm pretty sure it's nothing from the evaporator core because all of the A/C components are under the hood not the dash...it's almost imposible for the evaporator to leak refrigerant or pag oil into the pasenger compartment on these trucks. I can tell you that you need to BACK-FLUSH your heater core......do a search I'm too tired to type it again. This will probably keep you warm for a while, but you'll eventually need to replace the plugged up heater core. If you live neer Ohio I'll do it cheap!

a_tack 11-04-2006 05:19 PM

Well, I figured it was a problem within the heater core.... the hose that goes into the heater core, under the hood, gets hot.... the return hose doesnt even get warm... that must mean there is a blockage in the heater core..... how hard is it tu flush? do I need a special flush kit? or can I just remove those two hoses and flush it with a water hose?

lastcoupe 11-04-2006 08:48 PM

Yea...remove the 2 hoses from the heater core....flush it with a garden hose hooked to the outlet (closer to the driver's side) first until you see clear water flowing out of the core...then switch and flush it the other way...then back flush again.

a_tack 11-05-2006 01:29 AM

Thanks man.... I'll have to try to do that in the next week....

20Blazer00 11-05-2006 01:43 AM

I did mine today and it makes a big difference and it is really easy...I also flushed the block and rad and installed new coolant. So I hope to have the clogging stop altogether...with all the negative press on the forums about the trouble with dexcool and the problems people have had. I just want some peace of mind that I don't need a perfect closed system to keep the clogs from happening.

So I will have to flush again in two years big deal if my heater works all the time without fail it is worth it...

DexCool is great for new cars. But if you have a cooling system problem then I feel it should be replaced.