Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Help!!...Fuel Problem? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/help-fuel-problem-6648/)

jquartucy 11-15-2006 12:44 PM

Help!!...Fuel Problem?

I am having a problem with my 88 K5...When I give it gas from a stop, it seems to want to sputter and die..once I get going it is fine. It also dies in stop and go traffic, whenever I give it a little gas. It idles fine and will roll forward fine in idle. Also, it only seems to do this when it is warmed up. I changed all the plugs and wires, fuel filter, and fuel pressure regulator. My next step was to replace the fuel pump, but before I do this I want to try to make sure that is the problem...Any Ideas?

thanks,

MNHawk 11-15-2006 01:37 PM

RE: Help!!...Fuel Problem?

did you try checking the TPS sensor?

and is this one still carb or is it TB?
Motor size?
Auto or manual?

jquartucy 11-15-2006 01:38 PM

It has TBI, 350, Auto....

MNHawk 11-15-2006 02:21 PM

with TBI you can remove the air cleaner and look at the patern spray.

I bet you will find that one of them is not spraying right (I normally find it to be the right side/passenger one).

There are (3 or 4) torque bolts that hold the top cover on that retains your injectors with a gasket. Try pulling them and cleaning them up. Sometimes its just some carbin buildup that blocks it (a good carb cleaner soak will do them good). The injectors have a screen inside of them that plugs up catching junk from the fuel system. This is what normally causes the injectors to fail on older trucks (pre 95). On newer ones they are just built cheap (96 and up). There is also a rubber retaining O-ring around the top when you pull the injectors, if those are bad replace them too.

I had a 77 Datsun 710 that was MPI (multi port injection) with orginal injectors and over 1,260,000 miles on it. Still ran like a top when the Frame finnally went back in 2001.

Good luck

jquartucy 11-15-2006 02:32 PM

We removed the air cleaner and the spray pattern looks fine. I ran some fuel injector cleaner through before I changed the Pressure Regulator and the Filter... Maybe the pressure is just too low due to the Fuel Pump?

MNHawk 11-15-2006 02:37 PM

I don't believe that the 88 had the ACC controler, so I would check your Fuel PSI and see. If it happens under load, I would look at the TPS, FPR, and trany.

Does it bog down when in park or N when you steep on it?

EDIT:

if you turn on the truck, let the PSI buildup, turn off the truck and then check the pressure by depressing the inline valve you can tell somewhat.

If it just leaks like dribble, not enough PSI

If it jumps and hits the hood, enough PSI

But wont know if its at needed PSI even if it jumps to the hood without a tester. A tester is the only sure fire way to know if you have enough PSI to run the truck right.

jquartucy 11-15-2006 02:41 PM

It does not do it in Park or Neutral...

Forgive my ignorance, but TPS is the throttle position sensor? The fuel pressure regulator was just replaced and it did not help....

MNHawk 11-15-2006 02:42 PM

yes the TPS is the Throttle Position sensor

If it only does it under load then check your trany.

You might find that the Torque converter is not releasing.

Also check the fluid color, should be a nice red. If its not then change the filter and fluid. Due to it might be a cloaged filter that is boggin your truck.

jquartucy 11-15-2006 02:43 PM

Allright...I'll give it a try...Thanks for you help...

MNHawk 11-15-2006 02:44 PM

opps I edit

Read about your trany

That seems to be the more likely issue