Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   hopefully theres an expert here... (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/hopefully-theres-expert-here-4937/)

mortalum620 08-14-2006 09:49 PM

hopefully theres an expert here...

As i stated in my "hello" post, im looking to make my truck a speed machine. I want to get it as ballsy as possible, but i do have a problem im hoping someone can help me with.

Blazers, like all SUVs are easy to roll at high speeds. Without lowering the truck (which i may do if all else fails) how can i keep it on the road and in an upright position?

1996BZR 08-14-2006 10:05 PM

RE: hopefully theres an expert here...

wider tires, air ride suspension.

mortalum620 08-14-2006 11:13 PM

how wide can i legally go (i live in ny) and how hard is air ride suspension to install and how much am i lookin 2 spend?

swartlkk 08-14-2006 11:39 PM

I'm not sure if anyone makes them, but larger anti-roll bars would help greatly. Heck, I noticed a difference in my truck when I replaced the stock rubber swaybar endlink bushings with polyurethane bushings. Definitely tightened things up, but stiffer swaybars would have a better effect.

20Blazer00 08-14-2006 11:39 PM

Every state is different on what is allowable tire fender clearances, this is where you go to your local Department of Transportation and find out the "FACTS" as to what is the law.

The ease of installation for an air ride suspension depends on how and what type of suspension you are looking at.. A simple air suspension is a pair of Gabriel Steady Rider Air Shocks in the back to regulate ride height when towing. Or you could do a full on air suspension kit (if available) then that will depend on your mechanical skills at following instructions and know how if you need to modify certain parts to make things work, that would all be explained in the instructions... and if you need to weld parts on or not...

mortalum620 08-15-2006 02:50 AM

Cool...thanks alot all.

Now for a broad question....very broad...

What are some good companies for:

Air Intakes
Turbo/superchargers
Ceramic headers
High performance brake systems
high performance engine components for a 350 v8...Will also need advice on companies for the wiring required for a 4.3L v6 - 5.7L v8 swap
Suspension parts
Mufflers
Performance Cats
Intercoolers

I know this is a very broad list, but i am trying to find some good quality companies to use for my overhaul

thanx in advance

-Chris

swartlkk 08-15-2006 09:50 AM

For the v8 conversion, JTR.com is what you want. They literally wrote the book on s-series v8 conversions. I am actually neck deep in the research of doing this swap in my Bravada with a Vortec 350 out of a '98-'01 SCFI truck motor. So JTR.com will be your resource for headers and such.

As far as S/C or Turbo... I remember a link to a companies web page that made turbo and centrifugal s/c kits for the 4.3L for an s-10 or blazer, but cannot find it at the moment. We currently have a member doing a rear mounted turbo install on his 4.3L 2dr blazer.

For suspension, there are links posted all over the place so I'm not going to copy them here. Browse down to the 'Suspension & Drivetrain' section for links. It all depends on what you want to do... Drop it or lift it...

As far as air intakes go... If you are going to be building an offroad rig, you're probably going to have to fab your own. You can spend the money on the Fram Boost intake or the K&N FIPK intake, but if you're gonna go into deep water, you'll want a snorkel.

I didn't hit on everything because it all really depends on the direction you are going for. If you are doing a v8 conversion, and ultimate power is your goal...

Well, what do you want this truck to do? Off-road or Track terror? Straight line or fast through the twisties?

lunatic_magnet 08-15-2006 10:44 AM

you can go to stiffer springs and sway bars, stiffer shocks too. it will give you a really rough ride, be hard to handle, and the truck will probably be more apt to slide on you in turns - but it wont be as prone to rolling.

my first instinct is to tell you to lower it - at least a little bit. the better job you do lowering the center of gravity the better off you will be.