Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   how to disconnect turn lights switch (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/how-disconnect-turn-lights-switch-6871/)

Marcin 11-26-2006 04:31 PM

how to disconnect turn lights switch

Hi

I am not sure if this forum is proper for this question. If not please forgive me.

I have 2000 year Blazer with airbag. I need to do some modifications with my electrical system - change brake lights and tail turn lights connections. Need I remove steering column covers and steering wheel to work with cables? Any idea? Maybe I can remove only instrument cluster to get cables but how to identify what is brake light switch cable and what is from turn signal flasher cable?

Marcin

20Blazer00 11-26-2006 04:46 PM

RE: how to disconnect turn lights switch

Marcin,

If you just changing the rear tail light housing to replace factory with aftermarket you do not have to change anything in the dash. There are harnesses in the back of the Blazer that are connected/disconnected with plastic connectors. Are you going with Euro style tail light housings. If that is the case then you should not need to change anything unless you are having contact issues with the bulbs. The bulb housings should just rotate out of the factory housing and into the aftermarket housing without a lot of hassles. All you have to do is to remove the trim in the back of the cargo area to get at the nuts holding the tail lights to the body...

Marcin 11-26-2006 05:24 PM

It is not so easy. Now I have every taillight consisted of three bulbs: two of them are taillight/turn/stop and one is white lighting in time of backing up the car. Now I have to install European lights with separate taillight, amber turn light, separate stop light, tail fog lamp and white one - see the picture.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...hoto/lampa.jpg

So I have add some wires and change existing.

Marcin

swartlkk 11-26-2006 05:52 PM

WOW... That's going to be quite a challenge... In the US spec blazers, the brake lights get routed through the turn signal and hazard switch before anything goes back to the lights. Basically you are going to have to remove the brake feed to the turn signal switch and run new wires to the lights...

Let me see what I can find for wiring schematics to see if any of them make mention of this type of configuration.

Marcin 11-26-2006 06:02 PM

I am afraid of two things:

1) removing steering wheel. I found old thread with procedure of changing turn light switch with no word about steering wheel removal but point 5 "Remove the steering column upper and lower trim covers. Refer to Steering Column Trim Cover Replacement - On Vehicle." seems to be dangerous to me becouse in Haynes they told to remove steering column covers I had to remove steering wheel :(

All your procedure here: https://blazerforum.com/m_15006/tm.htm

2) removing panels in car to put new wire. What is the best way to put it?

I have two days to do it. And I hope airbag deactivation and activation procedure will no cause any problem to me.

Marcin

Marcin 11-26-2006 07:14 PM

Another (last one) question is how to remove panels to put new cables and not to destroy panels?

M.

20Blazer00 11-26-2006 07:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Marcin

It is not so easy. Now I have every taillight consisted of three bulbs: two of them are taillight/turn/stop and one is white lighting in time of backing up the car. Now I have to install European lights with separate taillight, amber turn light, separate stop light, tail fog lamp and white one - see the picture.

So I have add some wires and change existing.

Marcin
Sorry for not understanding your situation having to convert it from U.S. to Euro tails...

I am wanting to do that for here in the U.S. for my truck how much you pay for those....

20Blazer00 11-26-2006 08:03 PM

Marcin,

Here is text for removal of Steering Column Trim.

Steering Column Trim Cover Replacement - On Vehicle
Removal Procedure

Caution
This vehicle is equipped with a Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) System. Failure to follow the correct procedure could cause the following conditions:

Air bag deployment
Personal injury
Unnecessary SIR system repairs.

In order to avoid the above conditions, observe the following guidelines:

Refer to SIR Component Views in order to determine if you are performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring.
If you are performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring, disable the SIR system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System in SIR.

Disable the SIR system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System in SIR.
Remove the steering wheel. Refer to Steering Wheel Replacement .

Remove the tilt steering column lever (1) from steering column (2).

Remove the screws that retain the lower steering column trim cover to the steering column.
Remove the lower steering column trim cover.
Tilt the trim cover down and slide it back in order to disengage the locking tabs.
Remove the screws that retain the upper steering column trim cover to the steering column.
Remove the ignition lock cylinder. Refer to Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement - On Vehicle .
Remove the upper steering column trim cover.

20Blazer00 11-26-2006 08:20 PM

Marcin,

Here is the text for the hazard turn signal switch in the steering column:

Multifunction, Turn Signal, and Hazard Switch Replacement -

On Vehicle Removal Procedure

Caution:
This vehicle is equipped with a Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) System. Failure to follow the correct procedure could cause the following conditions:

Air bag deployment
Personal injury
Unnecessary SIR system repairs
In order to avoid the above conditions, observe the following guidelines:

Refer to SIR Component Views in order to determine if you are performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring.
If you are performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring, disable the SIR system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System in SIR.

Disable the SIR system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System in SIR.
[ul][*] Ensure the turn signal lever on the multifunction switch is in the neutral position or the off position. [*]Remove the knee bolster. Refer to Knee Bolster Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console. [*]Loosen the steering column bracket nuts. [*]Remove the steering column upper and lower trim covers. Refer to Steering Column Trim Cover Replacement - On Vehicle . [*]Remove the 2 wire harness straps from the steering column wire harness. [*]Remove the connector position assurance (CPA) retainer from the auto trans shift lock control. [*]Disconnect the steering column bulkhead connector from the vehicle wire harness. [*]Disconnect the gray and the black connectors of the switch from the column bulkhead connector. [*]Remove the multifunction switch to the steering column mounting screws. [*]Remove the multifunction turn signal/hazard switch.
[/ul]

Installation Procedure:

Install the multifunction turn signal/hazard switch.
Use a small blade screwdriver in order to compress the electrical contact. Move the multifunction switch into the position.
Ensure the electrical contact rests on the canceling cam assembly.

Notice
Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

[ul][*] Install the multifunction switch to steering column mounting screws. Tighten the multifunction switch mounting screws to 6 N·m (53 lb in).[*]Install the connectors of the switch to the column bulkhead connector. [*]Install the steering column bulkhead connector to the vehicle wire harness. [*]Install the connector and the connector position assurance (CPA) retainer to the auto trans shift lock control. [*]Install the 2 wire straps on the steering column wire harness. [*]Install the steering column upper and lower trim covers. Refer to Steering Column Trim Cover Replacement - On Vehicle . [*]Install the steering column bracket nuts. Tighten[*]Tighten the steering column bracket nuts to 30 N·m (22 lb ft).
[/ul]

Install the knee bolster. Refer to Knee Bolster Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console.
Ensure the lever is in the center or the OFF position.
Enable the SIR System. Refer to Enabling the SIR System in SIR.

Marcin 11-26-2006 08:30 PM

Thanks for procedures!

Marcin