Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   I have heat, Now if I can only get the KEY out (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/i-have-heat-now-if-i-can-only-get-key-out-6839/)

pigmak 11-24-2006 06:51 PM

I have heat, Now if I can only get the KEY out

Well, thanks for the help with my heat. So my other problem is the ignition or something. Lately when I arrive at my destination the key will turn my truck off but not go far enough to get it out. It will not release my key. The key seems ok, my spare does the same thing. I tried a little lubricant as some one told me to. No luck. Has anyone ever heard of this or had this happen? sometimes I have to start it like 10 times and move it before it finally lets me move the key to the release point. Any help would be great. After getting my heat to work, I went for a test drive around the block (a police officer was on the corner on foot, I asked what happenned and he said he was checking for seat belts, lucky I always wear mine, even on 3 min test drive, whew) Does anyone have any advice for my key problem? Thanks, This Site is the best

magtec 11-24-2006 10:58 PM

RE: I have heat, Now if I can only get the KEY out

if it's a column shift, try jiggling the lever when it's in park. sometimes it simply isn't in the right spot for the key to be released.

20Blazer00 11-25-2006 12:23 AM

ORIGINAL: pigmak

So my other problem is the ignition or something. Lately when I arrive at my destination the key will turn my truck off but not go far enough to get it out. It will not release my key. The key seems ok, my spare does the same thing. I tried a little lubricant as some one told me to. No luck. Has anyone ever heard of this or had this happen? sometimes I have to start it like 10 times and move it before it finally lets me move the key to the release point. Any help would be great. After getting my heat to work, I went for a test drive around the block (a police officer was on the corner on foot, I asked what happenned and he said he was checking for seat belts, lucky I always wear mine, even on 3 min test drive, whew) Does anyone have any advice for my key problem? Thanks, This Site is the best
It is possible that something in the steering column is not aligned properly or one of the spring loaded detents is not right. Is the truck under warranty?? If so check with the dealer about getting it fixed.

Here is the text of the procedure:

Disconnect the negative battery cable. Refer to Engine Electrical.

Caution
Refer to SIR Caution in Cautions and Notices.

Disable the SIR system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System in SIR.
Lower the hush and knee bolster. Refer to Knee Bolster Replacement in Instrument Panel.
Remove the steering column trim covers. Refer to Steering Column Trim Covers Replacement - On Vehicle .
1. With the key installed, turn the key to the RUN position.

2. Install an allen wrench into the hole on top of the lock cylinder housing. Push down on the allen wrench to release the tab on the lock cylinder inside the lock cylinder housing.

3. Slide the lock cylinder out of the lock cylinder housing.

Install Procedure:
1. Install the key into the lock cylinder.

Important:
The gears between the ignition switch and the lock cylinder housing must be in the correct position. Failure to do so will cause a misalignment of the gears in the ignition switch and the lock cylinder housing, which may result in a NO START or BATTERY DRAIN.

2. Use a screwdriver to rotate the lock cylinder housing gear clockwise to the start position - allowing it to spring return into the RUN position.

3. Align the lock cylinder and install into the lock cylinder housing.
4. Install the steering column trim covers. Refer to Steering Column Trim Covers Replacement - On Vehicle .
5. Install the hush and knee bolster. Refer to Knee Bolster Replacement in Instrument Panel.
6. Enable the SIR system. Refer to Enabling the SIR System in SIR.
7. Connect the negative battery cable. Refer to Engine Electrical.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1127/68947F76F9044A41A50DCC12A18D2124.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1127/90D40BF9DD184FD4B780A834E2086B2C.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1127/28632A23A43D4246B8819AB85CAC8932.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1127/6C8877AF5FC2470E87937CE06343CBBA.gif[/IMG]

Chevyguy032 11-25-2006 12:28 AM

ORIGINAL: magtec

if it's a column shift, try jiggling the lever when it's in park. sometimes it simply isn't in the right spot for the key to be released.
Yes definetly try this first...the exact problem hapend to me on my moms car..was there for nearly a half n hour then i figured to try to jiggle the column then poof poped right out...

Chevy Lover 11-25-2006 04:19 AM

What year is your truck?
Please post some vehicle info when you need answers.

pigmak 11-25-2006 11:04 AM

So before I try anything, here is some info on my truck. I have an 01 xtreme. The shift is not on the column. sometimes the key will go back and release the first time, other times it takes like 20 tries. WIll removing the cylinder fix the problem or just get the key out?

pigmak 11-25-2006 11:09 AM

also I see th SIR says to refer to air bags. How do I disable this?

20Blazer00 11-25-2006 04:01 PM

ORIGINAL: pigmak

also I see th SIR says to refer to air bags. How do I disable this?
Disabling the SIR System

Turn the steering wheel so that the vehicle's wheels are pointing straight ahead.
Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position.
Remove the key from the ignition switch.

Important
With the SIR Fuse removed and the ignition switch in the ON position, the AIR BAG warning lamp illuminates. This is normal operation, and does not indicate an SIR system malfunction.

Remove the SIR Fuse from the IP fuse block.
Remove the sound insulator-LH. Refer to Closeout/Insulator Panel Replacement - Left in Instrument Panel, Gages and Console.
Remove the knee bolster, if equipped. Refer to Knee Bolster Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gages and Console.

Remove the connector position assurance (CPA) from the driver yellow 2-way connector located at the base of the steering column.

Disconnect the driver yellow 2-way connector located at the base of the steering column.
Open the IP compartment door, lift stop and allow door to fully open.

Remove the connector position assurance (CPA) from the passenger yellow 2-way connector located behind the glove box.
Disconnect the passenger yellow 2-way connector located behind the glove box.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1127/9D3DD63B85524632A3EC3B75B41EE563.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1127/B958AB736218465AA06655A6B464A323.gif[/IMG]

pigmak 11-26-2006 10:12 AM

before i attempt to do thi(i am a little scared) Is this a fix just to get my key out? Do I need to replace the cylinder or just adjust it. I do not want to mess this one up. My warranty is up. thanks

pilgrim 11-26-2006 06:02 PM

This could be:

- Bad ignition switch
- Bad ignition lock
- Bad solenoid in column next to lock (can you stick a screwdriver in the small hole next to the lock and release the key?)
- Bad shift cable to transmission so that the car doesn't know it's in park.

We just went through all four of these on a '97 Blazer, and it took all 4 to fix it. $800 total. Try to DIY if possible.