Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   oil filter (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/oil-filter-6047/)

offroaddude77 10-16-2006 12:40 PM

oil filter

which kind of oil filter do you prefer? i was thinking of switching over to a k&n oil filter. does anyone know about these?

swartlkk 10-16-2006 12:54 PM

RE: oil filter

I prefer anything by Wix (also makes the NAPA Gold), AC Delco, and Purolator. Of those, the Wix/Napa Gold and PureOne (by Purolator) are my favorites. It just depends on what store I'm in as to which filter I purchase.

For the price, any of the 3 (well 4 brands) I listed cannot be beat for build quality and filter efficiency. I also like the Mobil 1 filter, but it is 3 times the cost of the ones I listed above and about equal in price to the K&N.

IMO, the K&N is overpriced for what it does. The tests I have seen do provide information that the K&N filter doesn't have the pressure drop of the other filters, but it also didn't have the filtration efficiency anywhere close to those I listed above.

magnum434 10-16-2006 03:55 PM

Stay away from Fram...heres a good article..if thats what you wanna call it.

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

Hanr3 10-17-2006 03:03 AM

I only use Fram filters and have been for over 20 years. Never had an issue with them. Last 4.3L V6 engine I had I bought with 60,000 miles and drove it 220,000 more miles before I totaled the truck. Ran as strong as the day I got it, and yep. Only Fram filters. I use either Valvoline or Castrol GTX oil too. Dino oil, never could justify the cost of synthetics.

I have had multiple 4 banger cars last well into 180,000 miles range, again yep, with only fram filters.

If your replacing your filters at the right intervals for your driving conditions, you shouldn't have to problems.

Chevy Lover 10-17-2006 03:50 AM

I've never had a problem with a Delco filter. I also strongly believe in frequent and regular oil and filter changes. I change the filter every time I change the oil and I change it every 3 months. I personally don't think it matters to much what brand you use, as long as you change it often.

DetroitMuscle 10-17-2006 09:07 AM

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

I prefer anything by Wix (also makes the NAPA Gold), AC Delco, and Purolator. Of those, the Wix/Napa Gold and PureOne (by Purolator) are my favorites. It just depends on what store I'm in as to which filter I purchase.

For the price, any of the 3 (well 4 brands) I listed cannot be beat for build quality and filter efficiency. I also like the Mobil 1 filter, but it is 3 times the cost of the ones I listed above and about equal in price to the K&N.

IMO, the K&N is overpriced for what it does. The tests I have seen do provide information that the K&N filter doesn't have the pressure drop of the other filters, but it also didn't have the filtration efficiency anywhere close to those I listed above.

I use WIX or AC DELCO ONLY! If you are using the purolator side by side, what are its filtering performance numbers?

NEVER USE A REUSABLE OIL FILTER. and K&N doesnt clean as well as it says it does. And its cheaper to replace a wix od delco 3980 style then a K&N reuseable. I really havnt seen anyone at the strip using K&N products at all, but I always use a style filter incase I need to cut it open to investigate the severety and length of a bad bearing. Its your ride do what you want, just adding my .02 from experience.

magnum434 10-17-2006 06:48 PM

I'd usually say your right...I've had 2 friends now have their filters basically blow up with the start-up pressure spike.

DetroitMuscle 10-17-2006 09:17 PM

ORIGINAL: Chevy Lover

I've never had a problem with a Delco filter. I also strongly believe in frequent and regular oil and filter changes. I change the filter every time I change the oil and I change it every 3 months. I personally don't think it matters to much what brand you use, as long as you change it often.

It matters ALOT.