Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   power steering trouble (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/power-steering-trouble-4917/)

exo 08-14-2006 01:50 AM

power steering trouble

Yes I just rebuilt my power steering pump and now it locks up on me. I have tried getting the air out by hoisting the front and turning wheels back and forth and nothing. Thinking I put the cam in the wrong way I took the pump apart again and reassembled word for word on the directions. I also took the pressure line and return line off the steering box and there was a ton of flow from the pumps pressure side. I also blew air back through the return line to see if something was plugged, and it was fee to reservoir. I have tried everything in my little mind to fix this and nothing. The steering seems as though it is fighting itself when I drive it. No lines are crossed and pump is working fine any ideas.

1996BZR 08-14-2006 01:54 AM

RE: power steering trouble

Did you rebuild the power steering pump yourself? If so, why didn't you just buy a new one?

exo 08-14-2006 01:59 AM

It was only a shaft seal that needed replacing and like i said the pump itself works fine. I had the pressure side off the steering box and there was a ton of flow. Seal kit thirty bucks and time new pump 120 and time. I do not know that will be next but i was just curious if anyone would have an idea of the issue at hand. Not y i did not buy one?

1996BZR 08-14-2006 02:06 AM

Hey, in order for me to see what the problem might be, I needed to know why you didn't buy a new one. Like if it was something small to fix like a seal. No need to get defensive when all I did is ask a simple question. Good luck.

exo 08-14-2006 02:09 AM

dood i was not defensive just stating the facts i thought i might come across like that when i was writing it and i do apologize if it sounded a little crass. All that needed replacing was a seal. I did not mean to upset sorry if i offended.

1996BZR 08-14-2006 02:14 AM

Oh, no problem. I just thought I offended you in some way and was wondering how. It's all good:D

Chevy Lover 08-14-2006 02:59 AM

Welcome to the forum.
I have seen that sometimes the pump shaft will break in the pump. It looks like it's turning normally, but under pressure (like with the steering cranked hard to one side), that the pump wont pump any pressure. The pump still works when there's not a high pressure requirement (like when the steering is straight ahead)
Get someone to crank the steering wheel with the engine running while you watch the pump pulley. Maybe you'll see something strange.

To late now, but when I replace the shaft seal, all I do is remove the pulley (special puller and installer for the pulley). Then I drill a 1/8" hole in the metal outer part of the seal. Then I screw a sheet metal screw into the hole I just made and pull the seal out using pliers on the screw. To install the seal I use a 3/4" deep socket and a hammer.

exo 08-14-2006 03:09 AM

Well the shaft is in tack. I have had the pump apart twice now and everything seems in good order. I tried pulling the bolt off the pulley side but not a chance would not break free. So i took the alternative approach. I had the full seal kit so i replaced all the seals. After pullong apart the second time all the seals were in good order and their is no leak now. Just seems like it is fighting itself when all hooked up. I am 99% sure the pump is together properly and like i said removing the pressure side of the pump there is lots of flow. the shaft is intack 100% and the belt tightens nicely. So as for the cracked shaft or broken shaft i do not think so although if i have it apart again i wil definetly inspect further awsome thought though thanks.

Chevy Lover 08-14-2006 03:12 AM

What year is your truck......I'll look to see if there are any bulletins

exo 08-14-2006 03:14 AM

It is an 81 chevy blazer 4x4, 305.