Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Power Window Motor R&R (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/power-window-motor-r-r-5052/)

MudHawg 08-21-2006 09:28 AM

Power Window Motor R&R

I am replacing the window motor on the driver’s side. I have been taping the window in the “up” position with duct tape and then pulling the motor from the regulator without taking the regulator assembly off.

Someone told me that the regulator is spring loaded and removing the window motor without removing the whole regulator as a unit is very dangerous. They said to remove the regulator and motor as an assembly, drill a hole through the sector gear and back plate secure them together with a ¼-20 screws so the unit will not unload unexpectedly.

Have I been that lucky by removing and replacing the window motors without removing the regulator assembly? Nothing has jumped or moved while I have been replacing the motor. Is it necessary to remove the whole regulator assembly to replace the motor?

MudHawg 08-26-2006 09:18 AM

RE: Power Window Motor R&R

Would anyone know which vehicle does, or does not require the removal of the regulator to replace the motor? Is a 1985 K5 Blazer Silverado one of them?

I would think that by securing the window with duct tape would hold it in place (as the screw would if the unit were removed). I've done this three times before someone told me I should worry because of a pre-loaded spring to the sector gear. The window has not moved from where I taped it up originally, or give any indication of unloading. I just drilled three holes in the metal door panel and removed the three bolts from the regulator to the motor and the motor just drops down to the bottom of the door.
When I put another motor in, I just slip the motor through the access hole and slide it into place until the three holes line up behind the regulator and start the threads. Now, this is the part that has me worried... Is it going to suddenly fold and the scissors will cut off my hand, mmmm.....

I am missing something? Maybe some fingers before ignorance sets in and I get whacked! Better ask some questions...

If the spring is unloaded, (if I’m poking through the boneyard, looking for a “new” motor) how would I know by looking at the assembly that the spring has unloaded. I would like to make sure that I don’t get bit sticking my hand in an access hole, if another person left it as bear trap, ready to eat my fingers.

If it does unload, how do you preload the spring before attaching the motor to the sector gear? This thing was assembled at the factory once…

Maybe just cut a rectangular access panel at the motor location just to drill a hole for a bolt to lock the sector gear. Wait, that will bind the arms ….

Sorry for so many questions, I like to know the entire system when I look at a project like this, beyond what a Hayes or Chilton’s can provide.

Somebody get me out of removing the regulator and arms!!!

Chevy Lover 08-27-2006 02:33 AM

RE: Power Window Motor R&R

I replaced mine in my 87 last year. The older ones like ours do have a counter balance spring.

The motor holds the spring in place, so you don't have to worry until you remove the motor.

The manual says to drill a hole through the gear and the back plate, then install a sheet metal screw to hold it in place til you install the new motor.

I put the window up, took off the door panel. I used a screwdriver thru an existing hole to hold the window in place. Then unbolted the regulator and rolled it to a spot where the rollers come out of the track, then wiggled the regulator out of the door.
I drilled the rivets out of the regulator on the passenger side and installed it with the replacement bolts.
The drivers door had the replacement bolts in it already.
I thought I could replace the motor without removing the regulator, but I pulled the regulators and it made it easy.