General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

mass air flow problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 02:22 AM
abmoto4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default mass air flow problem

I have a chevy zr2 blazer, with 102K, recently have been having problems with loss of power, its sluggish and acts like something is holding it back. I then thought my fuel filter could be clogged up. Changed it that made no difference... then i checked my air filter which isnt dirty to where air wouldnt be able to pass threw. I then unhooked my mass air flow sensor turned it over and it seemed to run 100% better, Do those 3 little sensors inside the mass flow air sensor get dirty and miss read air flow? or does it sound like a bad mass air flow sensor ?

Old 08-31-2006, 03:14 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: mass air flow problem

Those sensors can and do get dirty. If you have a K&N filter they might have a coating for filter oil from excess oil on the sensors. You can get a can of CRC MAF Sensor Cleaner to clean it.

It just takes some care in removing the center (black) section to get at the sensors. But all you have to do is remove the cap screws and pull apart the aluminum pieces from the plastic center section. Then you can spray the sensors from the can (using the attached nozzle extender), to focus the spray onto the sensors. If spraying does not clean them completely then you may have to use a cotton swab soaked in cleaner to very gently clean any harder to remove residue that may be on the sensors. BE CAREFUL these sensors are delicate and can be easily damaged...

Old 08-31-2006, 09:55 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would recommend using a q-tip soaked in cleaner to clean them. A cotton swab maybe too difficult to keep from snagging the wires on the ends. But yeah, try cleaning the elements first. They should be an off-white color when clean. If they are brown, or worse black, they are in need of cleaning.

Old 08-31-2006, 05:40 PM
abmoto4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah those lil sensors where nasty almost black cleaned um up and now she works great... thanks guys

Old 08-31-2006, 07:52 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Great! Glad we could help!