Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   switching to synthetic (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/switching-synthetic-6590/)

2001blazer 11-12-2006 08:39 PM

switching to synthetic

hey everyone just wondering what you guys think of synthetic i have heard so many great things about it i want to switch but my engine does have 47,000 on it. is it to late?

Jman 11-12-2006 09:18 PM

RE: switching to synthetic

47,000 thats still brand new lol. I'm about to flip 200,000km so I thought about switching to synthetic as well. Not sure if it will make any differrence or not.

a_tack 11-12-2006 11:41 PM

It's not as good as it's made out to be. . . if you go synthetic, don't buy royal purple . . . My dad works in an oil refinery and they used to run synthetic in everything ( i mean everythign from trucks to motors on large equipment). . . the company ran royal purple for about a year and then the motors started locking up on everything, due to the synthetic oil breaking down so quickly.... I won't run synthetic in mine because I drive too much and too hard. I run a high mileage 5w-30 and have had no problems.... Talked to several mechanincs (including my grandpa who was a head mechanic at a local dealership for 50+ years) who strongly suggest you do not run synthetic in any motor that is used very hard. Including off-roading. . . . just my opinion though.... i'm sure if you change it every 3000 miles like you are supposed to it will be fine...

I noticed yo have an 04 silverado. . . we have an 03 and my buddy has an 04..... i know this about them... the dealerships around here won't change your oil to synthetic. . .

4lowlife 11-13-2006 02:42 AM

I think using sythetic on our trucks is purely an owner preference. It may protect better, last longer, but you'll never recoup the cost diff if you're shooting for more MPG/ KPG. I use it when its on sale. 5W-30 only.

Maybe 50 years ago synth wasn't as good but its in alot of performance cars like Corvettes.

This past summer I went to Lancaster Speedway (1/8 mile drag) and observed in the pits the funny cars that ran 100% nitro that night all ran syth. The drum labels read Lucas oil, but IMO that was only for marketing. The mechanic told me they change it every single race and run synth. He wouldn't elaborate what weight or brand it was.

Boy, I wish I could afford big oil co stocks.

93s15jimmy 11-13-2006 03:20 AM

i've heard by switching from regular to synthetic you could dry up your oils seals. im not saying this is true...cause it may not be...just something i heard...although i've been known to be wrong a time or three.

20Blazer00 11-13-2006 04:08 AM

ORIGINAL: 93s15jimmy

i've heard by switching from regular to synthetic you could dry up your oils seals. im not saying this is true...cause it may not be...just something i heard...although i've been known to be wrong a time or three.
Nope not drying up seals but removing any debris keeping oil from leaking past seals, synthetic removes deposits in the motor so initially you may get leaks but after a while the synthetic should reseal the leaks unless the seals is worn past repair and needs to be replaced. Have you ever wondered what all those "high mileage" oils are blended with, special blends of synthetics so that the seals in your engine can be "re-lubed" or refreshed so they don't leak...

Eventually the world will have to use synthetics since dino oil will run out...

2001blazer 11-13-2006 08:13 PM

so you guys dont seem to think its a good idea i dont know im really torn between the two even my g-pa who was a mechanic started using it and hes was during the 50s-80s. im not sure what to think i might just not do it since i dont really like the sound of e 85 in my engine either

4lowlife 11-14-2006 01:58 AM

Totally up to you man.

Bocomo 11-14-2006 10:46 AM

I run Mobil 1 in my Blazer. I have for two years or more. I drive easy most of the time. I used syn when my wife drove the Blazer too. It stood up to her driving. She thought it was Corvette for six months, then it snowed.

I'd say it is your choice. I don't think syn will harm our rides more than our driving habits will.

a_tack 11-14-2006 12:40 PM

It probably wont hurt your vehicle.... i'm just not using it any time soon.... not worth the money to me... plus i've hear too many horror stories about it... but like 4lowlife said... its totally owner preference..... however you would wonder why some cars change the synthetic so often. . . :eek: the matter of GM sometimes using synthetic is probably not so much a quality thing as it is big businesses teaming up to screw the working man...... its not really worth the extra money..... hell, buy super tech brand oil at wal-mart.... there is a supertech synthetic... before anyone says supertech is crap I want you to know that it is QUAKER STATE motor oil in a different jug.... QUAKER STATE makes it, its just in a different bottle.... alot of wal-mart brand products are made by bigger companies and just stamped with the wal-mart name.. they have full synthetic and high mileage oil..... If you change your oil at regualr intervals (every 3000miles) you can run pretty much anything in it with the same result.... If you plan on going 7000+ miles on an oil change don't run synthetic.... it will break down faster and cause damage... however, I wouldn't reccomend running any more than 5000miles on ay oil.. period...