Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   transmission slipping (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/transmission-slipping-6305/)

timetoblaze 10-29-2006 08:35 PM

transmission slipping

whats up everyone. well i think my tranny is on it way to ****tin the bed. it is slipping very bad through the gears and i have been getting a check engine light for a trans comp slipping so i guess my question is what do i do now... should i have it rebuilt should i buy a used one with low milage on it what would be cheaper... less hasstle and easiest to get done... keep in mind im a college student and have absolutely no money... thanks

USMaverick101 10-29-2006 08:55 PM

RE: transmission slipping

What year? is it 4x4? Engine size?

timetoblaze 10-29-2006 09:13 PM

o sorry didnt think about that.... 99' 4x4 4.3l

Hanr3 10-29-2006 10:42 PM

Junk yard swap will be the least expensive route. Find one, and get a 30 warrenty on it. Stop by the autoparts store for new tranny fluid, new dipstick tube gasket, new front seal, new rear seal, and buy a can of tranny shock. Use that instead of one can of tranny fluid. IF you do the work yourself, plan on a couple of weekends to complete it. Plus post up and I can offer up some tips to make life easier.

Dealer will have great replacements with the best warrenty. Iam hearing conflicting reports, 50,000 miles and 100,000 miles.

You could rebuild it yourself, however that pegs the difficulty meter as far as auto repairs go.

timetoblaze 10-30-2006 12:57 AM

will that last me a decent amount of time if i get a used tranny... thats the only thing im worried about.. that and i dont have nearly enough time, know how and tools to do the swap myself... it seems like it would be eatremely difficult to do it with floor jacks and crawling under the truck..

as far as the dealer goes i was under the impression that it would be an arm and a leg.. what kinda money would i be lookin at with that?

also i found a couple places on ebay that sell used and rebuilt trannys , would that be a good option would shops put that in for me if its not bought from them...

sorry for all the questions.. when it comes to trannys im lost

USMaverick101 10-30-2006 01:04 AM

if u cant do the work yourself, i suggest finding the tranny and parts and having a tranny shop do the swap for you. they should charge more than 200-300 for the labor. If your anywhere near NY, i would suggest taking it to huntspoint. I got my 5.0 T-bird's tranyy rebuilt for 600 bucks, parts and labor.

user 1016 10-30-2006 01:08 AM

I got my used transmission with under 30,000 miles for about 600.....I have people I know and gave me a great deal on labor.....

timetoblaze 10-30-2006 01:41 AM

maverick, i live in orange county, ny... where in huntspoint?...

Hanr3 10-30-2006 01:43 AM

It can be done in the garage with a floor jack. :D

timetoblaze 10-31-2006 12:32 AM

does anyone know which tranfer case a 99 blazer has? i have heard 208 thrown around but i dunno anything about them