Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   transmission squeak (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/transmission-squeak-4963/)

iceflames11 08-16-2006 03:04 AM

transmission squeak

Ok, all the info for my vehicle is in my sig. Anyways, it seems that almost everytime the transmission goes to shift from 1st to 2nd gear it squeaks. Sometimes its loud sometimes its quieter. Has anyone else had this problem before? Is there any way to fix it? Its an automatic by the way. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Dory 08-16-2006 10:50 AM

RE: transmission squeak

have you checked the fluid level and when was the last time it had a tranny service?

iceflames11 08-16-2006 03:26 PM

I'll check the fluid level today, and last time it was serviced... I have no idea. That probably means that I should get it checked then.

Dory 08-16-2006 05:21 PM

Heres the thing about transmissions, check the fluid level and also the color and smell of it. if its burned smelling then yes you have a problem starting, but if its just low, add some to it.

If you first do a tranny service NOW and you dont know when it was done last you could be doing more damage then good. if the transmisison isnt serviced at regular intervals and you just go and do it, it could cause slippage and worse. so just be cautious of what you do.

Aquahallic 08-16-2006 08:07 PM

hmmmm... do more harm than good???
How's that... mine has 86k on it and it's prolly NEVER had the fluid changed or filter
That's why I'm about to do it either this weekend or next.... should I not?

Hanr3 08-17-2006 03:03 AM

Do the change.

Changing the fluid wont cause tranny issues. It could however reveal tranny issues, and people think the fluid changed caused the issue. Hardly, the problem is the seals get hard and leak, clutch material builds up around them and everything works like normal, the leak goes away. Swap tranny fluid (which is full of detergents) and it removes the debris around the seals. The seals now leak and cuase problems. The problem was there, long before the tranny flush too place.

There are some chemicals you can add to reduce the effects of new fluid in an old tranny. Tranny shock is the common name for it. Like if you take a junk yard tranny and swap it into your truck. Add a bottle of "tranny shock" and it will reduce tranny problems due to new fluid in an old tranny. I recommend some "tranny shock" when you change fluid on a high mileage tranny as well.

I prefer to drain the tranny pan every year and top off with new fluid. That's about every 15,000-20,000 miles.

Dory 08-17-2006 11:09 AM

Thing is that I have 80k miles on mine... and I was told that the previous owner never changed the fluid in the tranny or the transfer case, so if I were to do that now, and it starts slipping that means I have to start scraping together money to get it repaired. Cause it *might* reveal issues that *could* be there. I am just not financially ready to open that can of worms yet....

Aquahallic 08-17-2006 10:02 PM

So when you say "Tranny Shock" would that Lucas Tranny fix stuff be something like what you're talkin' about??

Hanr3 08-18-2006 01:49 AM

ORIGINAL: Aquahallic

So when you say "Tranny Shock" would that Lucas Tranny fix stuff be something like what you're talkin' about??
Yep.

80,000 isn't alot per say. Depends on how the tranny was used. Little to know towing, no racing, no much ideling, not many hills/mountains, 80,000 isn't a big deal. I had 109,000 on mine and my clutch packs still looked like brand new.
The reason I asked about color and smell was to maybe determine what condition the tranny currently is in. If the color is good and red, and it smells like new tranny fluid. You don't have anything to worry about. If the color is dark or black and it stinks like something was burnt, you got issues, major issues. Save your $100's now cuase you'lll need em soon enough and no amount of flushing will fix your problems.

Aquahallic 08-18-2006 07:39 AM

well... here's what I KNOW!... vehicle came outta Fl. (No Hills) there's no real rust at ALL on the undercarriage (probably no pullin' a boat or anything cause they'll rust out in the ass from backin' down a ramp) I put a class III hitch on the back of it and it DID look like someone at one time had a hitch on it cause the bolts holes where the hitch mounts up to the frame weren't "virgin" (best way I could think to put it) interior is IMMACULATE (someone took GOOD CARE of these black leather seats cause our Fl. sun plays TOTAL hell on black leather) engine oil looks damn near NEW after about 3k miles (yeah it's due a change now) so I don't think anyone rode it hard at all... tranny seems to act JUST FINE (I've romped on it and it hooks RIGHT up and spins those back wheels with NO hesitation) no slammin' of gears or anything shifts REAL smooth I think I have an issue with my MAP sensor though cause it seems like I have to really TRY to get it to drop down when I stomp on the gas to pass.. then again that could be because I can't really push down all the way real well on the pedal I was in a BAD car accident about 4 yrs. ago in a 3/4 ton chevy crew cab truck tire blew and slammed me into a wall and my foot was on the brake and it broke my foot OFF! (2 yrs in a wheelchair BLOWS DOG lemme tell ya) so I have no right ankle and when you try to take a size 12-13 shoe and stomp that gas pedal down TOTALLY flat footed... it doesn't fit so well in that little nook they have for the pedal there....LMAO

But yeah... shifs are fine... uhm.... my truck runs nominally around 165 - 170 normal runnin' and even though I was a bit low on tranny fluid I don't have anykind of burnt smell or anything and I checked it after drivin' a couple miles after toppin' tranny off with 1 qt. of that Lucas and almost 1 qt. of Dextron III (yeah it was low and I didn't know it...) and no "dark color" or burnt smell or anything someone put new lower ball-joints on it... and all the bushings and tie rod ends are in good shape after adjusting my steering gear jam nut/bolt I have almost ZERO slop (just enough to let it zero back out and to not be TOO tight) so all in all I think someone took pretty good care of this thing I'd think I'd have some sludge or something if someone did alot of stop and go driving or neglected to change the oil and stuff and I do see a sticker in the windshield from when they took it to get the oil changed (prolly regularly) so yeah... I think I'mma run this tank of fuel out and maybe one more with that lucas in there and let it get worked up real nice then drop that pan and replace the filter and fluid. Think I should drop another bottle of the lucas in there when I swap out the fluid? Or just go with straight Dextron III knowing there will be some of the lucas left in it cause the torque converter will still be full and all the cooler and lines are full too????

all this work and I'mma have me a BRAND NEW 95 Blazer here REAL SOON....LMAO!

here... you guys will get a KICK outta this!
My girlfriend is a geek like me... she decided to make a magazine cover one day messin' around with some pics (she's a shutterbug BIGTIME)

[IMG]local://upfiles/3295/B53CA03F0F8948648BD7DE91DFC5A22F.jpg[/IMG]