General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

unreliable gas thingie....

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 05:07 PM
BF Veteran
user 1016 has a spectacular aura aboutuser 1016 has a spectacular aura about
Default unreliable gas thingie....

ok..so I think either the float is stuck somehow....(with all the pot holes I don't know how) but..my new recent problem...is my gas gauge is inaccurate..at least I think....it moves all over the place when it's in idle...and when I am driving...it either dosen't move..or drops down realy fast..then comes back up to half full.....driving the 7 hours downstate...I filled it up..even though the gas gauge showed I had just under a half a tank..(like on line) and I put over 10 gallons in it..and it wasn't full......I know..had to have been pretty empty to put that much in......any ideas?? (other than replacing it)
thanks

Old 03-16-2006, 06:52 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road
Default RE: unreliable gas thingie....

Fuel sending unit.

Old 03-16-2006, 07:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Could also be a bad connection somewhere in the harness between the sending unit and the gauge cluster...

Old 03-16-2006, 11:49 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

i had the same problem with mine..it was the fuel sending unit like 4lowlife said. unfortuneately in order to fix this you have to drop the fuel tank and replace the pump

Old 03-17-2006, 12:36 AM
BF Veteran

woo hoo!! you all confirmed what my dad just told me......bummer......I can just keep track of what fuel I am using can't I? Is it part of the fuel pump? as in you have to replace it? or is it a seperate piece?......well I will have to get out the pen and paper and start keeping track of my milage......

Old 03-17-2006, 12:52 AM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

from what i understood, the sending unit is incorporated into the internals of the fuel pump...so you would have to replace the entire thing

Old 03-17-2006, 12:54 AM
BF Veteran

cool!! thanks!!!

Old 03-17-2006, 01:07 AM
BF Veteran

anytime

Old 03-17-2006, 05:38 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

That would depend on the model year of your truck. Earlier versions had the fuel pump and sending unit seperate, and you could replace one and not the other.

Your problem could be a s simple as a loose connection.

Knowing the year of the truck would help me provide a decent answer to your question.

And by the way, no need for pen and paper, use your trip meter, unless its broken too. Reset it everytime you fill up, and fill up all the way. By now you should have a good idea how many miles you average per tank of gas. If not you will learn real fast after you run out of gas a time or twoooooo.

Old 03-18-2006, 01:06 AM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

Drive w/ a small gas can with you.

You can get a 2.5 gallon gas can and draw little eyes and a mouth on it.
And then call him 4lowlife and kick it around when you're having a bad day.

Quick Reply: unreliable gas thingie....