Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Will this intake help? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/will-intake-help-6864/)

nofear17bmx 11-26-2006 01:14 AM

Will this intake help?

I am currently getting about 12 mpg so I am in need of ideas to increase that number. I was thinking of buying this, will this help me?

eBay Intake

*EDIT by swartlkk* - fixed long link

RedBlaze 11-26-2006 02:10 AM

RE: Will this intake help?

It might help your mileage very slightly it will not be to significant however. It sounds like something isn't quite right if your only getting 12 mpg. You might want to look into doing a tune-up soon. Checking out your catalytic converter and exhaust system for leaks would also be a good place to begin. If you give us some more information on your blazer like year, engine, trans, and total miles we might could help you out some more.

20Blazer00 11-26-2006 04:39 PM

ORIGINAL: nofear17bmx

I am currently getting about 12 mpg so I am in need of ideas to increase that number. I was thinking of buying this, will this help me?

*EDIT by swartlkk* - fixed long link
Not as much as you want it to. For the price of that intake you can get a K&N dropin factory replacement, works better.

If you want to increase you mileage then you have to find out when it started going bad. This is wear your trip meter in you instrument panel works for you...everytime you fill up with gas right down the "trip" mileage then divide that by the gallons pumped and you will have mpg. Put that into a spreadsheet program and you can track your mileage.

Have you done any modifications to your truck???

pilgrim 11-26-2006 05:59 PM

First - as mentioned above, keep meticulous records on gas usage an check every tank. We're going into winter, when mileage will be reduced somewhat.

Second - what's the state of:

- Air filter
- Plugs
- Plus wires
- Cap
- Rotor
- Cat converter (partial plugging will reduce mileage

Is it a stick or auto? If Auto, have you had the transmission power-flushed lately?

Generally, if you want the best mileage you have to have an engine and transmission in the best condition. You might take it to a dealer and have them scope it, as you can pay for that pretty quickly in gas. You don't say what year your Blazer is or anything else about it, so that's about as specific as anyone can get.

nofear17bmx 11-27-2006 10:32 PM

Ok, well I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer 4dr 4wd 4.3L Auto. It was just tuned up about 2 weeks ago. New battery, rotors, brakes, plugs, plug caps, plug wires, plug spider (I think that is what its called) oil change. I am not sure about air filter quality but I was told it was good. I did how ever buy a gas mileage chip for my blazer. It came in the mail and all it is is like a resistor. What you do is form it into a u shape and unplug the IAT sensor (this monitors the air coming into the carb?) then with the u shape resistor (chip) you shove it into the end of the IAT sensor cap so I guess this makes the computer think its still working fine. My guess is that the computer then leans the engine out which gives me better gas mileage and hp like the auction says?