Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Winding Noise - Please help (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/winding-noise-please-help-5043/)

maggierice 08-20-2006 07:50 PM

Winding Noise - Please help

I have a 1997 Blazer - the 4 dr. one. Anyway I have this winding noise coming from it. We've opened the windows and can't figure out where it is coming from. When the windows are closed is sounds like it is right under the center of the hood. It only does it when slowing down and the slower you go the louder it gets. Anyway it used to do it only once in a while and this past week it does it all the time without stopping. I used to be able to get the noise to stop by coming to a dead hault and now it doesn't work anymore. We just had the motor replaced about 14,000 miles ago and we have 140,000 on it roughly now. We also replaced the compressor, and pretty much everything else. This noise has been happening for the past couple of years and we have yet to figure out what it is. Also I've talked to a couple mechanics and they don't know for sure what it is either and of course it never makes the noise while it's there. Please help me, this is very frustrating. I'm hoping somebody out there has either had or heard of the same problem. Thank you for your help.

Dory 08-21-2006 05:31 PM

RE: Winding Noise - Please help

ok wait, couple of questions, does this happen ONLY when you are moving? how are your brakes, is there a caliper sticking maybe? how is your front end, all good? is the steering wheel feel ok?

Dory 08-21-2006 05:33 PM

and my friend at chevy said this:

sounds like a bearing... maybe in an alternator or compressor... or water pump...; or it could be an idler pully

maggierice 08-25-2006 02:12 PM

Yes, only when I'm moving. Now this past week it has been doing it when i'm on interstate going about 70ish and then start to slow down, the slower you go the louder the winding and then you need to come to a dead hault in order to get it to stop and then there is a big clunk, kinda sounds like when you are reversing and your u-joints make that same noise. (sorry for the anologies - hard to describe :)

maggierice 08-25-2006 02:13 PM

Thanks for the help - I'll run it by my hubby and have him check those out. At this point any advise is very helpful.

swartlkk 08-25-2006 02:28 PM

Is the truck 4wd?

fnirish 08-25-2006 05:51 PM

Ive heard a torque converter make a sound like that before. I have also heard a power steering pump getting very low of fluid make that sound.

maggierice 08-26-2006 11:00 AM

Yes it is 4wd.