Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   Y pipe replacing 90 s10 blazer 4.3 (https://blazerforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/y-pipe-replacing-90-s10-blazer-4-3-a-5511/)

johnnyblaze 09-15-2006 10:27 PM

Y pipe replacing 90 s10 blazer 4.3

Im gonna be replacing my Y pipe on 1990 S10 blazer 4.3 automatic....Any Tips on how to do theis the easiest method lol its looking like a bitch and no shop wanted to even touch it[:@] any help would be much appreciated.... looks like i need a long extension some deep sockets and lots of wd40!
thanks!!
John

johnnyblaze 09-16-2006 12:04 AM

RE: Y pipe replacing 90 s10 blazer 4.3

hmmmmm:eek:

DetroitMuscle 09-16-2006 12:48 AM

Thats about right, but why wont a shop touch it?

91Blazerblk 09-16-2006 02:54 AM

I just did mine earlier this week. Its a breeze...well sert of. The first thing is soak the 6 exhaust manifold bolts real good with WD-40 and let it soak over night. I used a regular length 15mm 6 point socket deep well was too long and seemed to interfwere too much I used a (Craftsman 1/2" drive with a wobler joint (not one of those U-joint deal...its called a wobler...also Craftsman). I adapted this to a 3/8" drive reducer and one of the long extensions..10" I think. Some of the came right loose. Others I had to heat up with a torch. Just be careful to get on the nuts as best a spossible so as not to round the off. With the combination I used you can get all 6 nuts off. (Three of the studs actually came loose for me instead of the nuts. Once the pipe was down I had to just heat the some more. Then hold back on the stud with a 10" pipe wrech and they broke loose. There is enough of a non-threaded collar to get the pipe wrench on.) I got a little ahead of myself. To get the pipe all apart, first drop the skid plate. Then you will have to remove the bolts that hold the cat in place in the two rubber brackets to the cats rear. My bracket bolts were so rusted I had to remove the 4 bolts that hold the rubber brackets themself to the cross member. That worked out for the better. Once they were out I removed the two bolts that held the cat exit exhaust flange in place and was able to drop the short pipe that connects the cat to the muffler. Make sure you remove the bolt that holds the muffler to the mounting bracket and theres one at the tail pipe, under the bumper. Remove the muffler clamp wher the Y-pipe meets the cat. With all that done you may try to wiggle the Y-pipe loose from the cat and drop the cat down...and/or the Y-pipe. You may have to heat the connection to get them loose. They do sell a tool designed to pull them apart. I think Summit Racing has them, but I was able to get mine apart without any help. Two people would make it a fairly easy job. Make sure you pick up a new O2 sensor for your new Y-pipe. The pipe runs anout $95 and a senser runs about $20. Be sure to replace all the old crappy bolt with new stuff. The bolts on mine had little threads left. I also put new exhaust manifold dounuts in place..about $5 each.

johnnyblaze 09-16-2006 08:32 AM

thanks alot I need to go get a wobbler thingyy then !!!!And the shop wont touch it the 2 I went to b/c they just told me the truck was junk and not worth it but it just looks rough ahh wellll its my mail truck anyways:)

johnnyblaze 09-17-2006 04:44 PM

came off like a DREAMMMM! Time to get some new bolts!!

DetroitMuscle 09-17-2006 05:19 PM

ORIGINAL: johnnyblaze

thanks alot I need to go get a wobbler thingyy then !!!!And the shop wont touch it the 2 I went to b/c they just told me the truck was junk and not worth it but it just looks rough ahh wellll its my mail truck anyways:)

Thats dumb, I woulda told em their shop is junk.

91Blazerblk 09-23-2006 08:28 PM

Glad to hear it went well for you. It's really a straight forward repair, as long as you have the right basic tools. The shop that said your blazer's junk reminds me of the time I went to get an estimate to have my pick up body fixed up/repainted. The guy told me that my old truck was too rusted out and refused to touch it. He commented that I should just junk it. Needless to say I was a little anoyed .

johnnyblaze 09-24-2006 11:27 PM

ahhh well screw em...saved me money anyways.......I was just feeling lazy and it looked harder then it was;)

DetroitMuscle 09-24-2006 11:32 PM

ORIGINAL: johnnyblaze

ahhh well screw em...saved me money anyways.......I was just feeling lazy and it looked harder then it was;)

Ive never owned a car with a Y-Pipe, do you have to remove anything other then bolts to get it out? I need to replace my manifolds and was going to replace the y pipe at the same time.