TrailBlazer GMT360/GMT370 (2002-2009) Tech Have a 2002-2009 Trailblazer, Envoy, Bravada or Rainier? Post your general tech questions here.

05 GMC Envoy XUV Rear Susp Sagging

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 08:51 PM
swdockter is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry 05 GMC Envoy XUV Rear Susp Sagging

I need help guys. Just bought this 05 XUV about 6 months ago and the rear suspension has failed. The car is sitting very low.

How do I troubleshoot this problem? Anybody have any experience with this air suspension? The aux air switch flashes once, then a long pause, then one flash. What does this mean?

Scott

Old 08-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Your problem is likely with the airbag itself and not with the compressor or lines. I have heard of a lot of failures with the bags.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:56 PM

Hey Kyle, you know, the darn compressor doesn't even try to pump air as if its fried out. I'm wondering what that single flash long pause single flash....is all about. I'm going to drop the spare tomorrow and start the troubleshooting.

And yes, I am reading alot of issues with this system as well. This truck is starting to make me mad. Last week it blew a water pump with no warning what so ever.

Old 08-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The compressor will only try to fill the bags for so long before it will shut down. If the compressor just never comes on, then either the fuse is blown, or the compressor itself is bad.

Where are you looking to see this light you speak of?

If you do end up needing a new compressor, CLICK HERE - pricey I know, but...

Old 08-08-2009, 10:53 PM

Many of the XUV models have an auxiliary air pump, Works off the same compressor at the air bags. Anyways, its that switch that is supposed to flash trouble codes.....so I have ready anyways. There's not a lot of information around so I'm struggling.

When you turn the car on, the compressor should go off until suspension is leveled off.

Read somewhere that my single flash is an EPROM issue....i'm not buying that.

Scott

Old 08-08-2009, 11:19 PM
Administrator

I am pretty sure that all of the GMT360/370 platform vehicles optioned with the automatically leveling suspension have the air outlet in the back. I'll see what info I can find in my FSM.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:43 AM
Talking

thank you Kyle. I appreciate that.

Read allot of material on this subject over the weekend. I will wait to start tearing the system apart until I get some guidance...

Couple of folks indicated they parked the car on a curb to get it extremely un-level and had the system kick in. Another jacked the car up high from the read and did the same thing. Makes no sense to me unless the right and left leveling sensors are not sensitive enough or "sticky"..... not sure how they work.

Ha ha, I also found a coil over system that replaces the air suspension. If this thing is going to be troublesome, I may just bite the bullet and convert.

Scott

Old 08-27-2009, 05:57 AM
keninator is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a no brainer.See below.

DTC 001
Circuit Description

The air suspension compressor assembly monitors the calibrations in the electrically erasable programmable read-only memory (EEPROM). The module also monitors the compressor, solenoids and internal wiring for faults.
DTC Descriptor

This diagnostic procedure supports the following DTC:
DTC 001 System Disabled Information Stored
Conditions for Running the DTC

The ignition is ON.
Conditions for Setting the DTC

The air suspension compressor assembly detects an invalid EPROM checksum or internal component failure
Action Taken When the DTC Sets

Depending on the condition that set the DTC, some or all functions will be disabled.
Conditions for Clearing the DTC

The DTC will automatically clear when the condition for setting the DTC is removed and the ignition has cycled from on to off to on.
Diagnostic Aids

The air suspension compressor assembly will set a DTC 001 when any of these conditions are present:
• A checksum error in EEPROM is present.
• The compressor is shorted or open.
• The compressor solenoids are shorted or open.

Action
Yes
No

Did you perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle?
Go to Step 2
Go to Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle
Verify the fault is present.
Does the system operate normally?
Go to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections
Go to Step 3

1. Turn OFF the ignition.
  2. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Does the LED flash DTC 001?
Go to Step 4
Go to Step 5
Replace the air suspension compressor assembly.
Did you complete the replacement?
Go to Step 5
--
Operate the system in order to verify the repair.
Did you correct the condition?
System OK
Go to Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle

Last edited by keninator; 08-27-2009 at 06:03 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:32 AM

Ken, that is exactly what I was looking for - THANKS. Last night I pulled the compressor assembly out. The one hard line is a bitch to get out. Ended up just prying out. Not sure it will seal back up when I hook it back up. Anyways, there are 4 hoses. A left and right line to the bags and then a 3/16" or so rubber hose and the one hard line and those two latter mentioned lines go back to the trunk. I suspect for the accessory functions. There are two connectors and I suspect one for power and the other for the left and right solenoids. I hate to replace that thing without testing it. Its $600. Do you have a wiring schematic that I can put 12 volts across two pins and see if it’s the motor?

Last edited by swdockter; 08-29-2009 at 08:35 AM. Reason: wording
Old 08-29-2009, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Here is the schematic from my FSM for my '04 Rainier. It should be the same...

Attached Thumbnails 05 GMC Envoy XUV Rear Susp Sagging-air_susp_sch.gif  

Quick Reply: 05 GMC Envoy XUV Rear Susp Sagging