TrailBlazer GMT360/GMT370 (2002-2009) Tech Have a 2002-2009 Trailblazer, Envoy, Bravada or Rainier? Post your general tech questions here.

How to turn off the passenger air bag?

Old 01-01-2011, 12:41 PM
Gos
Gos is on a distinguished road
Default How to turn off the passenger air bag?

Greetings,
How do you turn off the passenger air bag on the 2009, 2010 blazers? The review mirror has "Passenger airbag on off" on it, but I'm just missing on how to deactivate it. Sorry if this one has been asked twenty times already. I did not find it doing a search.
Thanks in advance,
Gos

Old 01-01-2011, 01:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There is a sensor in the seat that is triggered when someone is occupying the seat. It actually senses the weight of the person and will not arm the passenger side system if the occupant is not of sufficient weight. I could not find what the specific weight was though, but it may be listed in your owners manual.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Gos

I need to disable it so the MDC (laptop computer) does not slam a passenger in the event of collision.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:09 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

As mentioned, you airbag should BE OFF unless someone is riding with you...

You dont have any locality listed in your info, but it should be noted:

In the U.S., it is illegal to remove or disable the front airbags (drivers or passengers) in a car of any model year for which they were required. The only exceptions involve medical conditions that make it unsafe to sit behind an airbag.

Worth being aware of incase you were looking to disable, then get in an accident or try to trade in later...

as for a "How to" the forum generally frowns upon illegal mods... (like gutting cats, elimiating cats, and SRS system mods) as they have come up before...

Old 01-01-2011, 02:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The sensor sends a signal to the airbag module proportional to the weight of the person in the seat. You may be able to trick the module by measuring the resistance of the sensor while the seat is unoccupied and put a resistor of the same value across the pins in the sensor connector.

But as stated, be certain of your local regulations prior to making any modification to the system.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Gos

Sounds like I need to turn this ride back into motor pool until the problem is fixed or I'll get another patrol vehicle. A laptop computer propelled by an airbag could be a fatal combination to any passenger.
Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Gos

Old 01-01-2011, 03:00 PM
BF Veteran

If it's a Law enforcement ride you might want to ask the Motor Sergeant (or whom ever runs the pool) whether or not that particular mod was done when they installed the MDT.

I know when we got our Crown Vics they came disabled even though the MDT wasn't really in the way...

BTW where do you enforce law? i wonder because the Blazer is not used all that much anymore outside of the forrest service and such around here.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:47 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gos
...How do you turn off the passenger air bag on the 2009, 2010 blazers?...
Since you posted this in the GMT 360/370 section and there is no such thing as a 2009,2010 Blazer, I assume you are talking about TrailBlazers?

From what you said about 'motor pool', I agree that trying to modify a vehicle that does not belong to you probably isn't a good idea.

Old 01-01-2011, 08:45 PM
BF Veteran

nice catch Rich

Old 01-01-2011, 08:51 PM
Administrator

I saw that as well, but figured since he posted in the GMT360/370 section and mentioned specifically 2009. I don't think that there was a 2010 Trailblazer though... Unless it was like the s-series in 2005 and was fleet only.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to turn off the passenger air bag?