TrailBlazer GMT360/GMT370 (2002-2009) Tech Have a 2002-2009 Trailblazer, Envoy, Bravada or Rainier? Post your general tech questions here.

Please help with replacing valve cover gasket

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 01:28 PM
mladsig is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Please help with replacing valve cover gasket

I would like a little guidance from all with experience on this. I have a leaking valve cover gasket. I will be replacing my valve cover gasket, plug seals, and intake gasket next weekend on my 2005 Trailblazer 4.2 I6. I have read the recommended procedure and have a few questions. Is it really necessary to discharge and remove the a/c line, or can you find the room to shift the a/c line once you unbolt the hold down line clips and work around it? Any tips or tricks from those with experience doing this job to make my life easier? Thank you in advance, as always to everyone who posts on here. This forum has kept my wallet a little fatter and the car well maintained.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at mine, you should be able to flex it up enough after removing the bolt that holds it on the driver side near the alternator. It will be more cumbersome to do, but it beats bleeding the A/C system.

Remember to torque the bolts to 89 INCH POUNDS. Yes, that's not much!

Old 08-01-2010, 02:25 PM

Thank you very much. I had a feeling that there was a shop technique for that step, to avoid doing this. I figure this will be an all day kind of job. Thank you also for the torque specs. Do you also agree with replacing the intake manifold gasket while I have it removed, made sense to me just to change it out while I had the access.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't have to take it apart, I wouldn't bother with it.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:43 PM

Unfortunately that is the first step in the process is to remove the intake manifold, I wish it was not necessary

Old 08-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Yeah, I looked at it again and you cannot get to the bolts along the one side without removing it.

Look at them and see if they are ripped/torn. If not, leave them alone. They only seal air. Not coolant or anything.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:35 PM

will do thank you again for the help