TrailBlazer GMT360/GMT370 (2002-2009) Tech Have a 2002-2009 Trailblazer, Envoy, Bravada or Rainier? Post your general tech questions here.

Rear door - '05 Trailblazer

Old 02-17-2008, 01:25 PM
Wendy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rear door - '05 Trailblazer

Hi!
I need info on two problems I'm having, but I'm new to this website and a little confused.

The rear access door lock on my 2005 Chevy Trailblazer is stuck up in the mechanism, so there's a metal bar going across the slot where it's supposed to come down over the the bar on the floor of the car (I'm not explaining this very well!). Do you know how to get the lock to work?
Also, (unrelated topic) when I turn my steering wheel, there is a rubbing sound, and it seems like it's hard to turn. I checked the power steering fluid, and it was fine. Any other suggestions?
Thanks!!!

*Moved here by swartlkk*

Old 02-17-2008, 02:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Rear door - '05 Trailblazer

From the sounds of it the latch has closed without the rear liftgate being closed. If that is the case, try putting a screw driver into the latch on the bottom of the liftgate and prying out on it while you lift the handle you normally use to open it. You may have to have the door close to being down to get it to work, but it should unlatch.

As far as the steering goes, this could be one of two problems.

#1 problem pertains to a technical service bulletin which states that on some steering racks, the bellows (accordian style tube at the ends of the rack) could rub on the frame while you are turning. I am sorry to say that it seems like the only fix as suggested by the TSB is to replace the steering rack ($$$).

#2 it could be the boot inside the truck under the dash that is meant to seal the steering shaft passage through the firewall. There is another TSB on this issue that involves removing some of this boot as well as lubricating the steering shaft. I think this is your problem.

[quote] Bulletin No.: 02-02-35-006B

Date: March 17, 2006

TECHNICAL

Subject:
Squeak, Rub/Scrub Type Noise in Steering Column (Lubricate Upper Intermediate Shaft Serration (Slip) Joint and Remove Material from Upper Intermediate Shaft Bushing)

Models:
2002-2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer EXT
2002-2003 GMC Envoy, Envoy XL
2002-2003 Oldsmobile Bravada

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to change the lubricant part number. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-02-35-006A (Section 02 - Steering).

Condition

Some customers may comment on a squeak noise coming from the steering column while turning the steering wheel. Some customers may also comment on a rubbing/scrubbing type noise/feel in the steering wheel during low speed turns/parking maneuvers. This condition may be more pronounced in cold temperatures.

The rubbing/scrubbing noise condition affects vehicles built prior to VIN breakpoint 32214010 (Moraine, OH) and 36170447 (Oklahoma City, OK).

Cause

Inadequate distribution and amount of grease in the serration (slip) joint of the upper intermediate shaft may cause the squeak noise. The rubbing/scrubbing type noise may be due to an interference fit between the upper intermediate shaft boot seal and the intermediate shaft bushing.

Correction

Lubricate the upper intermediate shaft serration (slip) joint. After lubrication, remove material from the upper intermediate shaft bushing.

Correction

Lubricate the upper intermediate shaft serration (slip) joint. After lubrication, remove material from the upper intermediate shaft bushing. Use the following procedure.
1.Remove the two screws that retain the left closeout/insulator panel to the instrument panel (IP). 2.Release the insulator panel retaining clip from the IP substrate and lower the panel. 3.Remove the push pin retainer and the LH floor air outlet duct from the heater module.

*Illustration missing*

4.Insert the flexible applicator hose of the spray lubricant, P/N 89021668 (Canadian P/N 89021674), through the top, hollow end (1) of the intermediate shaft. 5.With the applicator hose down as far as possible toward the mating area of the serrations, spray a generous amount of grease. 6.Repeat the application after rotating the steering wheel 180 degrees, so that the serrations are treated in two locations opposite each other. 7.Position the floor air outlet duct into place and install the push pin retainer. 8.Raise the insulator panel and install the retaining clip to the IP substrate. 9.Install the two screws that retain the left closeout/insulator panel to the IP.

Use the following steps