Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers, Intake, & Exhaust (https://blazerforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-10/)
-   -   98 blazer air intake question (https://blazerforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-10/98-blazer-air-intake-question-66475/)

louiepb 12-31-2011 12:43 AM

98 blazer air intake question

hey, i recently installed a Airaid 200-108 - Airaid Intake System on my blazer. i though i ordered a CAI. i haven't really noticed a difference in my blazer since i put it in, would there be anyway to make it into a CAI? and what performance advantage was this air intake supposed to have?
thanks in advance.

Blazer51 12-31-2011 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by louiepb (Post 485718)
hey, i recently installed a Airaid 200-108 - Airaid Intake System on my blazer. i though i ordered a CAI. i haven't really noticed a difference in my blazer since i put it in, would there be anyway to make it into a CAI? and what performance advantage was this air intake supposed to have?
thanks in advance.

A cold air intake usually brings more horsepower and helps safe you gas. Thats a cold air intake airaid is just the name of the brand such as spectre, AEM etc. I have one installed on my blazer as well didnt notice a change either, but because of the possition its in there is no cold air going to it as it is covered by the radiator and the headlights. What you can do is add an airway from the front of your blazer to the intake so when you drive the airway sucks in cold air and sends it to the intake. Hope it help bro good luck.

duxtoyz 12-31-2011 10:33 AM

i agree with blazer51. make it so u get the cold air to ur intake. extend the tubing if u can, or use the stock air inlet, the oval piece, and make a custom funnel for the air, and relocate ur filter to the side of ur radiator if u can. to colder the air going into ur motor the better it will be.

louiepb 12-31-2011 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Blazer51 (Post 485725)
A cold air intake usually brings more horsepower and helps safe you gas. Thats a cold air intake airaid is just the name of the brand such as spectre, AEM etc. I have one installed on my blazer as well didnt notice a change either, but because of the possition its in there is no cold air going to it as it is covered by the radiator and the headlights. What you can do is add an airway from the front of your blazer to the intake so when you drive the airway sucks in cold air and sends it to the intake. Hope it help bro good luck.

Thanks for the response, did you make an airway on your blazer, if so how did you do it?

Blazer51 01-01-2012 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by louiepb (Post 485822)
Thanks for the response, did you make an airway on your blazer, if so how did you do it?

I want to but havent had the time to actually do it, like duxtoyz said you can use the stock air inlet just follow where that goes to and you can add a funnel, i suggest you set it down in the bumper area and put a screen on it. just like a window screen so no trash gets in there, or if you have any space on the side from the radiator you can set it right behind the grille and run a bendable tube to the intake. You can also mount the intake below the car just add an extra tube to let it get down there the only problem with it is that when it rains or snows its gona suck up water and that will damage your motor. Once i have time to look at my blazer ill take some pics of where i would run the air inlet meanwhile just think about it. where would you mount an air canal.

pettyfog 01-01-2012 08:34 AM

You havent said what it is you're looking to get out of a CAI.
How much driving do you do at above 4500 RPM.. at WOT? You do know you have a pretty good engine management system, right? What do you think the MAF and IAT sensors do?
What do you think the O2 sensors do?

AFAIK, EVERY OBDII car coming out of the factory has a cold air intake.
You might's well buy one of these and stick in your tube behind the MAF..
Tornado Air :: More Power, More Mileage!
At least there is SOME science / physics behind it. But the goobers buying them ought to look at where the intake air goes from there, and find out what their throttle plate angle is at highway cruise.. how much swirl is left by the time it hits the intake valve?
The place for a 'tornado' would be at the intake valve side of the throttle body in the mouth of each intake runner.. but hey, if that is so then why dont those guys who do all the port/polish/ relief performance modding do that? After all, they are pretty easy to make. Wow.. I wonder!

Bottom line: For average daily driving or anything below 75% of full performance output there is NO difference except what's in your head.
For me.. I just wash, wax and vacuum out the car and get the same results.

Originally Posted by Blazer51 (Post 485998)
I want to but havent had the time to actually do it, like duxtoyz said you can use the stock air inlet just follow where that goes to and you can add a funnel, i suggest you set it down in the bumper area and put a screen on it. just like a window screen so no trash gets in there, or if you have any space on the side from the radiator you can set it right behind the grille and run a bendable tube to the intake. You can also mount the intake below the car just add an extra tube to let it get down there the only problem with it is that when it rains or snows its gona suck up water and that will damage your motor. Once i have time to look at my blazer ill take some pics of where i would run the air inlet meanwhile just think about it. where would you mount an air canal.

Blazer51, please PM the OP with your name and address so he knows who to come for after he installs a bumper height funnelized CAI, then forgets about it until he drives through high water.

Anyone else stumbling across this, go ahead, do a custom CAI, it's your time and money, but Mount it AS HIGH as possible!!!!

Blazer51 01-01-2012 11:17 PM

@Pettyfog - Well i sure dont drive through high water everyday and i never had, but if louiepb already bought himself a airaid intake system why should he waste money on buy the tornado.

By the way thats funny i was only letting him know where he could mount it to get the better result, options of what he can do with what he has unlike you. Everyone has their own opinion and he can choose to either follow mine or follow your or whoever he decides to go with. In the end i dont what to argue about something im giving my opinion on.