Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers, Intake, & Exhaust (https://blazerforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-10/)
-   -   CAI on '04 Blazer Xtreame (https://blazerforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-10/cai-04-blazer-xtreame-83173/)

zerwin 12-06-2013 11:38 PM

CAI on '04 Blazer Xtreame

Hello, I'm looking into modding my stock '04 Blazer Xtreame with a CAI to start with. A friend of mine told me this is what I should get EBAY,but i'm a bit skeptical considering the price. Any recommendations for a decent CAI that won't break the bank?

Thanks,
-Zack

rriddle3 12-07-2013 10:14 AM

You will never see a difference with a CAI on these trucks except with the engine sound. Is that worth the money?

zerwin 12-07-2013 11:14 AM

With some of them going for $25-$35 I would say yes, however not for the 68+ linked above. Could you going into a bit more detail on why there is no difference with a CAI? I really don't know much about it.

Thanks,
-Zack

El_Beautor 12-07-2013 11:16 AM

+1 on what Rriddle3 said. I made my own CAI out of spare parts from my old job in a auto shop, and put it on my Blazer for a while, and the only difference it makes is it gives the engine a bit more of a growl when you mash the skinny pedal. It made ZERO difference as far as economy or power. I ended up switching back to the factory cold air intake since it's every bit as good as any of the aftermarket ones, and seats better against the radiator mount to draw cold air from in front of the truck. Most of the aftermarket CAI just have the pipes and filter, and unless they have a heat shield around the filter they're actually pulling warm air from the engine bay, rather than cold air from in front of the truck. The factory intake system allows more than enough air flow to supply a stock or lightly modified 4.3 engine. I really don't think you'd see any noticeable increase from a CAI unless you were getting into serious engine modifications or even a turbo or supercharger.

I'd suggest you don't waste your money buying a CAI, unless all you're expecting is to change the engine sound a little.

Diaita 12-07-2013 12:17 PM

^I agree with both rriddle3 and El_Beautor. Don't waste any money on one.
When I put my factory air system back on, i noticed that I could fit the CAI tube INSIDE the factory hose, with room to spare. And on a hot day, my IAT went down when I re-installed the factory parts. Kinda defeats the purpose of a CAI...

That said, I still have mine in a box, less the heat shield. You can have it for the price of shipping, but even that is a waste of money...

TMM217 12-07-2013 12:30 PM

If u want cold air just mod the factory lower air filter box to receive more cold outside air.

Snowgoat 12-18-2013 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by TMM217 (Post 610473)
If u want cold air just mod the factory lower air filter box to receive more cold outside air.

How? Would you just cut out the front facing panel?