Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers, Intake, & Exhaust (https://blazerforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-10/)
-   -   Catalytic Converter (https://blazerforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-10/catalytic-converter-64692/)

Flip01002003 11-04-2011 01:06 AM

Catalytic Converter

So I haven't actually gotten a full answer to this question... So this is my last hope. I have a 1995 Chevy S10 Blazer 4x4 4dr.

WILL REMOVING THE CATALYTIC CONVERTER MAKE MY TRUCK RUN LIKE GARBAGE????!!!!

I do NOT plan on actually removing the catalytic converter... I just want to know.

From what I read it really f's up your fuel/oxygen ratio because of the O2 sensor after the cat (BTW My Blazer has pre-cat and post-cat O2 sensors).

Now... I know that when people do remove the cat they put in an O2 simulator to counteract this problem. BUTTTTTT... I also found these things called O2 spacers...

Do the spacers actually work?!?!

***This is just for learning purposes only. I just want to know what would happen!!***

MrSluggo 11-04-2011 02:52 AM

I believe the post cat. only observes cat. function, and doesn't affect fuel/air ratio.

I have heard about work around for pre cat. o2 sensor, but never tried it.

Not sure about spacers.

swartlkk 11-04-2011 07:12 AM

Removing a catalytic converter will NOT alter the engine performance, only the emissions from the engine. The O2 sensor(s) that the PCM uses are before the catalytic converter and don't even know its there.

FsTFwRd 11-04-2011 11:03 AM

I recently had mine off because I "thought" it was clogged. MAF sensor and my lack of "know" were the culprits.. Anyway, I couldn't really tell a difference. Sounded like a tractor for a week or so :icon_teeth: But my old, still new cat converter went right back on. For inspection and noise purposes of course :icon_goofygrin:

Flip01002003 11-04-2011 11:50 AM

So if for any reason I had to remove the cat, I would pop a code, but it wouldnt affect the performance at all?

What about back pressure issues?

swartlkk 11-04-2011 12:16 PM

The notion that engines need back-pressure is a myth (run a search on "back+pressure+myth" and you should find a rather lengthy & informative thread on the subject).

LowLife 11-18-2011 09:42 PM

Hey i just wanted to chime in and say that my exhaust on my 98 bravada is as follows y-pipe stock, first o2 sensor untouched, GM factory cat gutted i need it to look like its there to pass a visual inspection in pa as this is my dd, then the 02 sensor after the cat is spaced out via a spark plug anti fouler from there its a flowmaster super 44 and the tailpipe. I have no check engine light on, and actually just passed my pa state inspection & emissions so if you do decide on messin with your cat you can still keep the check enngine light off it really does make for a very good deep sound combined with a flowmaster the 40 series was far to loud but the 44 has a very perfect deep v-8 rumble combined with a gutted cat. just my personal opinion i am not telling you to go out and gut your cat or put a test pipe on im just saying you definatly can. if you wanna know something else i failed to mention just ask

abig84 11-19-2011 11:22 AM

yeah i had to cut mine out on my 93, when i used a different transfercase it was in the way. theres no code for it and the truck runs fine. but yeah if you have emissions dont mess with it