Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers, Intake, & Exhaust (https://blazerforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-10/)
-   -   Cold Air Intake Bypass Valve Filter (https://blazerforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-10/cold-air-intake-bypass-valve-filter-68715/)

IanD 03-06-2012 06:32 PM

Cold Air Intake Bypass Valve Filter

Has anybody heard of this before - Cold Air Intake Bypass Valve Filter? Supposedly it:

- This high quality Bypass Valve air filter helps your engine intake to have consistent air flow and prevent hydraulic-lock
- In many cases when driving under heavy rain or wet floor, aftermarket cold air intake will sometimes absorb water into the filter. Then the filter will be unable to have air flow. The bypass Valve air filter will help to resolve that problem
- This secondary filter will prevent water from going into the intake causing damage to the engine

This is the first time that I have ever heard of a Bypass Valve filter, I was going to buy it for my $30 CAI but I decided to consult everyone here first and see what their opinions on it are.

If anyone is interested this is the link:

3" Inches Cold Air Intake Bypass Valve Filter 76mm BLUE Chevrolet | eBay

newguy 03-06-2012 07:33 PM

Seems like a good idea, although I never heard of that happening to a CIA. But for 30 bucks it wont hurt so much to file it if its no good

AJBert 03-06-2012 09:20 PM

IMHO, kind of defeats installing a CAI in the first place. It will be sucking air along with the CAI filter. This has to be installed in front of the MAF sensor and there is not enough room to install it on the other side of the heat shield (if you have one).

In other words, it is not a "bypass" filter but an inline filter. Whichever filter has the least resistance to air flow will suck in the most air. That is, until that filter gets a bit more clogged than the other. Just more maintenance to keep up with with little to no gain.

tibby 03-06-2012 11:07 PM

This reminds me of those guys who put blow-off valves on cars without having a turbo on them. It might look or sound cool, but there is no purpose. You might be negatively affected actually. Just my .02 though.

IanD 03-07-2012 09:42 AM

I was talking to my cousin about it and he was saying that it's not necessary but it's nice to have if you go mudding etc. It acts like a straw with a hole near the top.. so if you try to drink water with the hole near your mouth exposed and you suck in water wont go into your mouth and it's the same principle with this bypass valve

IanD 03-07-2012 10:40 AM

I personally don't plan on buying it anytime soon. But I think that it's worth 20 dollars

tibby 03-07-2012 03:28 PM

There really is no such thing as a mud or water friendly cold air intake. But if you wanted an intake system and you go muddin' , you should really go with a volant or an intake similar to that. It has a box around the filter in which it would be hard to get mud in there.

But I understand where you're coming from. $20 isn't bad if you think it'll help out off-road compared to a Volant system which runs around $225.

TheRandom1 03-07-2012 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by newguy (Post 503300)
Seems like a good idea, although I never heard of that happening to a CIA. But for 30 bucks it wont hurt so much to file it if its no good

Never heard of what? hydrolocking a motor due to having a CIA? Look at any forum full of lowered cars... it happens plenty, haha.