Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers, Intake, & Exhaust (https://blazerforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-10/)
-   -   cold air intake during winter=bad idea? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-10/cold-air-intake-during-winter%3Dbad-idea-74927/)

50lb_cat 11-02-2012 12:48 PM

cold air intake during winter=bad idea?

I just put my CAI on at the end of last winter. Now I'm hearing that I should remove it during winter months because the air is so cold and dense the computer will dump excess fuel so it won't run lean. Also, there is a possibility of the throttle getting frozen. I read this information on another forum and it all seemed logical. So, has anybody noticed a drop in MPG, or any other problems when using a CAI during the winter? My first thought was they are getting a drop in MPG just because of winter gas...any input is appreciated!

Rottidog 11-02-2012 02:08 PM

Do you have a heat shield installed? If not, I think the engine will actually warm up faster because it'll be drawing in the air under the hood which will be warmer than the outside air. It should have the opposite effect that we tell people about a CAI & NO heat shield drawing in the warmer air under the hood than the cooler air outside.

On mine the stock air box was fed through a (kind of) small hole behind the DS head lights. With a CAI & no heat shield it was pulling in the warmer air under the hood. Making it warm up faster & too much so in the summer hauling a boat at highway speeds etc.

Vader 11-02-2012 02:12 PM

When I drove my BMW in the winter I left the CAI intake on. I didn't see any adverse effects with it so I don't see a reason to remove it.

chris015 11-02-2012 03:46 PM

man,once your engine warms up (which doesnt take long) it'll be sucking in warm air anyways. Throttle wont freeze due to the engine being hot. Id only be worried if you'll be in -5 temps.

Joshs4x4 11-02-2012 04:11 PM

Its fine leave it in...

50lb_cat 11-02-2012 06:00 PM

Yes, it does have a heat shield. I wasn't really buying into the throttle freezing, but the part about the computer dumping fuel kind of made sense. Anyone experience this?

Joshs4x4 11-02-2012 06:09 PM

Its fine your computer does fuel trims from the o2 sensor. 10 years with mine its fine

Captain Hook 11-02-2012 06:11 PM

The PCM can adjust fuel mixture acurately down to -40F and up to ~20K' ASL. As long as you're within in those, it shouldn't be a problem ;)

Rottidog 11-02-2012 06:28 PM

Ok, so if you want it to warm up a little faster & depending how cold it gets where you live - then remove the heat shield for the winter.
Before PCM's etc I remember engines that had a bi-metal spring on the intake with a flue/damper that was fed off a metal flex hose that went to a shroud around an exhaust manifold in order to warm the incoming air for the engine.
When the air was cold it would allow the air to enter via the shroud over the manifold. When it was warm enough it would turn the damper so cool air could enter the intake.

50lb_cat 11-02-2012 07:03 PM

Thanks guys! I knew I would get some answeres here lol.