Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers, Intake, & Exhaust (https://blazerforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-10/)
-   -   Cone Air Filter causing problems to MAF? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-10/cone-air-filter-causing-problems-maf-60905/)

ChevyBlazerChick 07-09-2011 05:51 PM

Cone Air Filter causing problems to MAF?

So my Husband's 99 Burban has a PowerAdder Cone Air Filter that just seems to have been put there in place of the Air Box. There isn't a heat shield or anything even holding it up. I wish I had a picture... but I really don't feel like walking outside and taking one. And it was just clamped on to the existing piping leading to the Vortec Assembly. And it probably hasn't been kept up like it should... given that its one that operates with oil or whatever.

I'm wondering if this has caused the MAF to go "haywire" for lack of better terms. I was working on it earlier today and after draining the oil to the proper level it still wouldn't start. So I took the entire Air Assembly off and it cranked right up. Put it back on and plugged everything up and it cranked up again. I don't have a Torx set with me or I would have taken it out and checked it and cleaned it.

I'd really like to get rid of the CAI and get a replacement Air Box, and I'm almost certain MAF... which I might as well just go up to the Pull-a-Part and grab the entire Vortec assembly. But I want to be sure this is the issue before I go spend like 100 bucks...

tibby 07-10-2011 06:08 PM

Yea, oil from the filter can be the cause of a dirty or clogged maf sensor. If you are going with the box air filter again, you shouldn't have a problem after you clean the maf. That is a plus to the dry-flow filters. No oil to put on the filter.

ChevyBlazerChick 07-10-2011 08:46 PM

Alright cool, thanks for confirming this for me. I knew I never liked those "performance" filters. lol

Hopefully this helps someone else out too, could potentially save a lot of money.

chris015 07-10-2011 09:24 PM

Before you dump it,just buy some maf cleaner and clean it and run it. Alot of times filters come overoiled and the " left over" oil has to go somewhere. I had this issue on another car and after i cleaned it i didnt have anymore issues with the cone.

AJBert 07-10-2011 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by chris015 (Post 445167)
Before you dump it,just buy some maf cleaner and clean it and run it. Alot of times filters come overoiled and the " left over" oil has to go somewhere. I had this issue on another car and after i cleaned it i didnt have anymore issues with the cone.

X2

The "performance" filters have been proven time and again to be able to flow more are more freely. Dry vs. oiled, oiled has been proven to show better filtration. Too much oil can cause problems with the MAF. A simple cleaning will correct that.

oktain 07-11-2011 02:03 AM

I clean my MAF every now and then with Electronics contact cleaner (same thing as MAF cleaner) and I have yet to run into any MAF related problems. Clean it, leave it.

Thogert 07-11-2011 04:51 AM

You guys and your fancy MAFs, I,m glad I don't have one so I don't have to worry about it. :p

ChevyBlazerChick 07-11-2011 08:36 AM

lol, yeah I'm gonna clean it first before I'm completely sold that its shot. But I need to go pick up a set of Torx and cleaner, which means waiting for my husband to get home cause I most definitely don't trust the Burban right now.

But I definitely need a different filter thats installed correctly

AJBert 07-11-2011 05:57 PM

Always nice to have an excuse to get more tools!

ChevyBlazerChick 07-12-2011 11:24 AM

Hehe, I got my Torx set. I was gonna clean the MAF today... but I've got a bathroom to remodel due to a certain dog... Yay wallpaper!