Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers, Intake, & Exhaust (https://blazerforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-10/)
-   -   dual alternater???? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-10/dual-alternater-408/)

Canadian_Blazer 02-23-2005 03:54 AM

dual alternater????

I'm not sure if this is possible, but I swear I had seen it somewhere. Dual alternater, for such things at more juice to your system or w/e .
Does anyone know anything about it?

benzodogg 02-23-2005 04:58 AM

RE: dual alternater????

Yeah, I have heard of a dual alternator system being run to provide additional power for a sound system and other electrical devices that would run the battery down. Basically, installing a second alternator would be like installing a capacitor of massive proportions. As I understand it, the way the dual alternator system is supposed to work, is to use the second alternator as a capacitor, and for balancing power consumption and power providing. It is an extremely effective tool to use for large electrical systems such as aftermarket or competition series systems. The install I saw was a picture illustrated one in Street Trucks magazine, I think that was the name of it. Anywho, it was done on a Silverado, which has much more room under the hood for excess parts than the Blazer. I'm sure it could be done by fabricating a mounting device from the block or wheel well. I also believe it would also have to be run as a part of the fan belt system as well.

zero psi 02-23-2005 10:51 PM

or, you could get a higher amperage one. much easier

01xtreme 02-23-2005 11:00 PM

I've seen several vehicals with a seperate battery (Optima Yellow Top) in the trunk for their system with a power cap. It depends on what you're pushing for a system.

victoryredblazer 02-23-2005 11:26 PM

I bet it will eat up some horsepower. maybe put in an electric fan at same time to get power back?

benzodogg 02-24-2005 02:29 PM

I dont know much about electric fans. Somebody else will have to answer that.

01xtreme 02-24-2005 06:29 PM

Yeah, an electric fan will help add some horsepower.

zero psi 02-24-2005 09:49 PM

in my 2.2l, i put in an electric fan, cai, and gibson exhaust and the thing would roast the tires off.[sm=gears.gif] its been so long though.[sm=smiley19.gif]

FatRyan 03-25-2005 06:12 AM

no no. an alt is nothing like a cap or bat. caps and bats are storage devices for power. an alt generates the power. theres an on-going argument in the car audio world of whether caps/bats are actually good or not. those who vote bad, say that cause its technically another bat (12V) therefore its only gives 12V of power. and it has to be charged tso its a strain on the alt. i vote good cause its NOT a 12V when the car is running. just like the regualr bat of any car, its a 12V storage device, but theres a ~14.4V current running through it from the alt. so the amp will get 14.4V anyways. a higher amp alt is the way to go. if you really need 2 alts (but dont know why), you are WAAAAY in over your head with car audio. in order for you to actually NEED 2 alts, youd hafta be pushing something like 2,500+ watts continuous. i am pushing 1200w on a simple 160 amp alt (it is a "high" amp alt, but not too much higher than stock). and im pretty sure theres no way to put a second alt in a blazer (s10 that is)...im pretty sure i read that somewhere...theres just no damn room. another VERY important upgrade is the BIG3 wires ((1) Battery negative to chassis 2) Alternator to battery positive 3) Chassis to engine). upgrade them to the AWG wire you use for your amp. what are you pushing anyways?