Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers, Intake, & Exhaust (https://blazerforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-10/)
-   -   Exhaust straight pipe (https://blazerforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-10/exhaust-straight-pipe-78009/)

thibault116 03-19-2013 01:02 PM

Exhaust straight pipe

Hey i just cut my muffler off i want to do a turn down. there is a o2 sensor right near where i cut off will it make any difference ? i have a 2001 ZR2 Blazer

Twip 03-19-2013 01:49 PM

it might make a difference as far as debris getting to the O2 sensor depending on what you do with your exhaust that short. it could also possibly effect the reading from the O2 sensor. and the only other thing that i can think of that might cause problems is not having enough back pressure. but as long as the cat is still there. then i would think that it would be alright. time will tell.

oh and take the O2 sensor out before you weld the turn down on. all that heat and current i think would be bad. take it out and put a plug in to you dont get any slag in the threads.

thibault116 03-19-2013 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Twip (Post 574179)
it might make a difference as far as debris getting to the O2 sensor depending on what you do with your exhaust that short. it could also possibly effect the reading from the O2 sensor. and the only other thing that i can think of that might cause problems is not having enough back pressure. but as long as the cat is still there. then i would think that it would be alright. time will tell.

oh and take the O2 sensor out before you weld the turn down on. all that heat and current i think would be bad. take it out and put a plug in to you dont get any slag in the threads.

true thanks for the info i was also wondering if it is legal to run a side pipe on a suv i have heard by some people it is illegal due to fumes getting in the truck.

chris015 03-19-2013 03:09 PM

it will effect the sensor. You need to add on at least a few feet of pipe or ideal a tailpipe.

97cherryblazer 03-19-2013 04:54 PM

It may or may not effect your sensor but it will sound like poop and give you less power. My friend cut his muffler off his blazer and it sounded horrible and it had way less power. Spend 30$ on a Thrush muffler, they sound decent and you won't have to worry. Cutting your muffler off is also illegal in most places ;)

00chevblazer 03-20-2013 01:48 PM

my flange on my muffler was rusted out so i chopped off the muffler completely and put a Thrush glass pack on it temporarily and it was okay sounding. i didnt have a good crimp with the muffler clamps and had some holes in it. went over a bump on my road to my house (dirt road full of potholes) and she fell off 2 days later then i ran it over so it was no good at that point.

So i didnt have a muffler on at all and holy cow it sucked driving it. NO power, annoying as hell and ran the risk of getting pulled over. So i just decided i would pay some $ and get it done professionally.

But with no muffler it didn't throw any codes or play with my O2 sensor. Just sounded horrible and couldn't hear myself think in the cab. sorry for the long rant

97cherryblazer 03-20-2013 01:56 PM

^^ Exactly.. i don't think my friends blazer threw a code either but it sounded god awful inside and after about a month of having it like that it ended up rattling the interior apart. Straight piped 4.3`s are just a no no

thibault116 03-20-2013 02:18 PM

its running straight out of the flang no codes up i find it sounds good but im into loud vehicles. the engine is alot more torquey but i do have a cold air intake on it too. I plan on putting a thrush welded on it to a down pipe just to get the noise down a bit.

00chevblazer 03-20-2013 03:33 PM

you find it more torquey? hmm I've got a CAI on mine as well and it ran horrible. no balls off stop signs and dogged it up hills. had to have the pedal to the floor almost.

thibault116 03-20-2013 06:04 PM

yeah it runs really good and it has alot more better throttle response. i am looking to put a exhaust on in but i don't have a welder and i don't want it to get done. i don't have the money to get it done yet. im thinking on getting a glass pack to a turn down for now until i get some money i don't have a welder so im going to have to clamp it. i just put over 2 grand into fixing it up, i would need to see some pics on how people set up the exhaust on their truck. i cant find pipe adaptors that fit over 2 and a half pipe that goes into a 1 1/4 glasspack so im wondering how people have there's set up at the pipe where the o2 sensor is.