Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers, Intake, & Exhaust (https://blazerforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-10/)
-   -   FLOWMASTERS or MAGNAFLOW? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-10/flowmasters-magnaflow-67970/)

Dolanjohn1990 02-13-2012 10:18 PM

FLOWMASTERS or MAGNAFLOW?

Trying to decide what I should go with for my exhaust. Any suggestions?

1997 Blazer 2dr
4.3 4wd auto

97cherryblazer 02-13-2012 11:34 PM

depends on what you want.

People on here usually go with the flowmaster 40 series or the flowmaster super 44. Personally i dont think magnaflow's sound good. I have the 40 series and it sounds nice and deep.

heres what mine sounds like revved to about 2000 rpm. It still sounds deep past 2000 rpm also. this was before i added the high flow cat

97 blazer 40 series muffler - YouTube

Dolanjohn1990 02-14-2012 01:12 AM

What size pipe are you running after the cat?

97cherryblazer 02-14-2012 03:10 AM

3 inch. It makes it sound a little deeper and throatier

Edit: heres a link to my before and after videos: High flow cat: Before and after

Dolanjohn1990 02-16-2012 02:08 AM

That wont cause any backpressure issues or anything with my rebuilt engine will it? Im hoping to send it to the shop this week and yours sounds, well, badass

Phil 02-16-2012 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Backpressure being required for an engine to operate properly is a myth. There can never be too little back pressure. There is such a thing as an exhaust that is too large however. Basically, you want the exhaust sized appropriately such that the scavenging effects are maximized. Scavenging is when one exhaust pulse pulls along the next as they travel through the exhaust pipes. Too large of an exhaust and the pulses slow down too much when they expand in the large tube and do not have enough momentum to aid the next pulse. This is what happens when people throw on a large exhaust and loose low end torque.

Unless you have done things to shift the power or torque higher in the RPM, you don't need anything larger than a 2.5 through out. The reason why the factory pipe necks down after the muffler is because of how much the exhaust gasses have shrunk due to cooling. Going 2.5" all the way will improve the top end without changing the low end.

So when it comes to backpressure, forget about it. Kyle posted a good article a long time ago that went really in depth about explaining backpressure.

97cherryblazer 02-16-2012 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dolanjohn1990 (Post 498207)
That wont cause any backpressure issues or anything with my rebuilt engine will it? Im hoping to send it to the shop this week and yours sounds, well, badass

thanks for the compliment :) and yeah like phil said back pressure isnt an issue. If you straight pipe it tho and have very little back pressure it will lose a little power and sound like SH** IMO. i know this because my friend straight piped his and it isnt as peppy as it used to be, but he also had a '95 blazer so its a little different.

But with my set up i think i gained a little power because i also have a CAI

Dolanjohn1990 02-16-2012 11:34 PM

Sweet. Im thinking a magnaflow high flow cat with a flowmaster super 44 muffler tied by 2 1/2 inch pipe is what im gonna do. Thanks for the input

tibby 02-17-2012 01:20 AM

That whole back pressure thing is complete bs. Complete myth. The only people who need to worry about back pressure are people with carburetors.

The only reason I didn't go with bigger piping is because I'm trying to "control the sound I want." I'm the guy you hate because I like loud exhausts (as long as it sounds good, the louder the better to an extent). I let the horses sing! :)

But yea, the flowmaster super 44, 40 series, and 10 all sound good.

wretchedsmurf 02-19-2012 10:56 PM

[quote=97cherryblazer;497543]I have the 40 series and it sounds nice and deep.

I just picked up a 96 S10 Blazer 4x4 with stock exhaust and i'm kicking some ideas for when the necessary things are fixed. IMO results don't always equal money spent. Is your entire setup Flowmaster or just the muffler, its sounds like you built it up over time. And does a hi flo cat make a real difference? I like a good throaty sound, not maddening loud with some HP kick up.