Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

Glasspack questions!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009 | 11:20 PM
96chevblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 86Blazer327
Ive had every kind of muffler on a 4.3 you can think of and a 2 chamber flowmaster is the only one that didnt sound like a weedeater
K-BERTHABABY-5 has a k-5= v8 so a glass pack sounds great

but i agree on the flowmasters for 4.3s

Old 11-14-2009 | 11:38 PM
PaulO2288 is on a distinguished road

I would deff just run straight pipes. The whole backpressure thing is just a myth and as Kyle said its been proven wrong many of times and its true. What you do need though is velocity which increases scavengeing and helps empty the cylinders. All this is done by haveing the right size pipes for your exhaust. In reality a cat and muffler is just 2 rescrticing kinks in your exhaust flow. Its like 2 kinks in your garden hose.

Old 11-15-2009 | 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by PaulO2288
Its like 2 kinks in your garden hose.
Nice analogy! lol

Old 11-15-2009 | 02:39 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by PaulO2288
I would deff just run straight pipes. The whole backpressure thing is just a myth and as Kyle said its been proven wrong many of times and its true. What you do need though is velocity which increases scavengeing and helps empty the cylinders. All this is done by haveing the right size pipes for your exhaust. In reality a cat and muffler is just 2 rescrticing kinks in your exhaust flow. Its like 2 kinks in your garden hose.

A bit of backpressure has been proven to help with low end torque but at the expense of top end power by hurting flow. Also pipes too big do more harm than good. A turbo charger in the exhaust flow world is like tieing a knot in the garden hose but thats another subject, lol.

I just suggest running the glasspack and be done with it. The small amount of flow gain from straight pipes on a street driven truck you will never even notice. Run the mufflers since in most areas you have to have them to be legal and don't worry about it.

Old 11-15-2009 | 08:47 PM
Beginning Member
K-BERTHABABY-5 is on a distinguished road

the only reason i was thinking of the str8 pipes was because of that hot rod sound. i want that truck you hear from a far. now if i run str8 pipes "sort-of" like if i just run pipes back from the headers and put a glasspack "broken" on the end of each will that give me good sound and still have ok pressure or "restiction" or what ever i need lol

Old 11-15-2009 | 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by K-BERTHABABY-5
the only reason i was thinking of the str8 pipes was because of that hot rod sound. i want that truck you hear from a far. now if i run str8 pipes "sort-of" like if i just run pipes back from the headers and put a glasspack "broken" on the end of each will that give me good sound and still have ok pressure or "restiction" or what ever i need lol
Yes it would give you great sound and just enough back pressure for the lower rmps

Old 11-15-2009 | 09:11 PM
Beginning Member

and does any one kno the law in va about the year or type or what eva in wich you dont need to run the inspection in wich str8 pipes would not pass? or is it jus a like "no matter what" law?

Old 11-15-2009 | 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by K-BERTHABABY-5
and does any one kno the law in va about the year or type or what eva in wich you dont need to run the inspection in wich str8 pipes would not pass? or is it jus a like "no matter what" law?
You legally would have to have a cat on, if you get caught its a felony, but if you don't have inspections where you live I wouldn't worry too much about getting caught.

Old 11-15-2009 | 11:34 PM
Beginning Member
loomdog32 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 96chevblazer
You legally would have to have a cat on, if you get caught its a felony, but if you don't have inspections where you live I wouldn't worry too much about getting caught.
Every state requires the exhaust to stay OE, but as said, if your state/county doesnt have inspections, its very rare to get caught.. Having the cat pulled from ANY car is a felony (clean air act - like not having a cat produces any less polution).. Having no/modified muffler also falls under noise ordinances in many different locations (Cali VC 27150, 27151 27153, 27156 - city ordances usually make these stricter, example San Francisco Section 2906 70-82db).

Unless you happen to go thru an area that has roadblocks that checks for illegal mods. Some places started doing this to help curb illegal street racing.

For the most part, LEO will leave vehicles alone that look legal and like they belong there. Remember, with any vehicle mod, its not where the vehicle is registered that matters, its where the vehicle is currently located that matters!!

Old 11-16-2009 | 03:45 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by loomdog32
Every state requires the exhaust to stay OE, but as said, if your state/county doesnt have inspections, its very rare to get caught.. Having the cat pulled from ANY car is a felony (clean air act - like not having a cat produces any less polution).. Having no/modified muffler also falls under noise ordinances in many different locations (Cali VC 27150, 27151 27153, 27156 - city ordances usually make these stricter, example San Francisco Section 2906 70-82db).

Unless you happen to go thru an area that has roadblocks that checks for illegal mods. Some places started doing this to help curb illegal street racing.

For the most part, LEO will leave vehicles alone that look legal and like they belong there. Remember, with any vehicle mod, its not where the vehicle is registered that matters, its where the vehicle is currently located that matters!!

well thats good to kno even if i dnt have inspection i kan get a "junkyard" cat so it looks as if its legal......and im gonna end up doing as close to "legal" str8 pipes as i kan soo soo ill be doin the exhaust build

Quick Reply: Glasspack questions!