Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

having tail pipe out infront of rear tires?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 12:34 PM
jdespain is on a distinguished road

Just posting this for your consideration. I did this exact set-up on an old Bronco that I used to own. The main issue that I dealt with was that in order to get the tailpipe out the side, it had to be routed under the frame rail. This created a crush point while four wheeling. It also looked really out of place since it hung down so low in order to clear the frame rail. If evacuating the exhaust gasses are the main priority, Then why not simply "dump" the pipe right after the muffler under the truck? I have done this to my Blazer and get no exhaust in the truck and no excessive noise coming from only one side of the truck. The exhaust tone sounds to be equal from both sides.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:20 PM
big scott is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jdespain
Just posting this for your consideration. I did this exact set-up on an old Bronco that I used to own. The main issue that I dealt with was that in order to get the tailpipe out the side, it had to be routed under the frame rail. This created a crush point while four wheeling. It also looked really out of place since it hung down so low in order to clear the frame rail. If evacuating the exhaust gasses are the main priority, Then why not simply "dump" the pipe right after the muffler under the truck? I have done this to my Blazer and get no exhaust in the truck and no excessive noise coming from only one side of the truck. The exhaust tone sounds to be equal from both sides.

very good point, well i have been thinking about this and i was going to put a 3in hole in the frame were i wanted the pipe to come throw. now after i cut the hole i was going to weld a 1/4 plate inside the frame to five it strangth back. doing that is no big deal.

or i was going to just have the pipe on an angel pointing out the side and down.

i was also thinking about just putting a turn down end right after the muffler but not sure if that will pass the sniff test becouse how are they going to put that fullel pipe on for testing? that would be the eazyest way of doing it.

also i dont take it offroad i converted it to 2 wheel drive. some day i want to find a 2 wheel drive frame to put under the body that way i can bag it right.

Old 07-14-2010, 03:58 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Ford used to have the exhaust exiting in front of the wheel on the 97 F-150's but that was quickly recalled... the exhaust gases with the mix of road salt ruined the finish on the rim. If you have winters w/ road salt and give 2 ***** about your rims... I'd think carefully about this... My neighbour needed to get his rear quarter repainted on his Dakota because the exhaust gases actually ruined the paint... Mind you waxing a vehicle was not a priority with this guy either.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:53 AM
big scott is on a distinguished road

ok guys i was trying to get off cheep but i think im going to run it out the back like stock. thanks for the help.

Old 07-30-2010, 12:09 AM
Banned
michaelross is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ImScrewed92
Make sure that it is legal in your area/state to do this mod to the exhaust. I was told the exhaust on SUVs and cars had to exit behind the rear wheels outside the body lines of the vehicle. I know that's how it is here in WV. If all else fails just check with a muffler shop and see what they say.

Personally I just cut mine off level with the body in the factory spot but I want to do a exhaust cut out right behind the muffler, like running turndowns, but it'll pass inspections.
I remember being caught because I did not know that doing mods to the exhaust.. having loud mufflers and modified tail pipe was illegal in our locale. I was disappointed because I thought it would be cool enough but sad thing is, it is not legal. Geesh.. I should have checked that out firsthand.

Last edited by michaelross; 08-02-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:53 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by michaelross
I remember being caught because I did not know that doing mods to the exhaust was illegal in our locale. I was disappointed because I thought it would be cool enough but sad thing is, it is not legal. Geesh.. I should have checked that out firsthand.

where the hell do you live that it's illegal to modify the exhaust system on your vehicle?!!

Old 08-24-2010, 01:03 PM
Starting Member
88Vic is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by oktain
Ford used to have the exhaust exiting in front of the wheel on the 97 F-150's but that was quickly recalled... the exhaust gases with the mix of road salt ruined the finish on the rim. If you have winters w/ road salt and give 2 ***** about your rims... I'd think carefully about this... My neighbour needed to get his rear quarter repainted on his Dakota because the exhaust gases actually ruined the paint... Mind you waxing a vehicle was not a priority with this guy either.
You sure about that? They love to salt the roads in KC here and i've had my exhaust like this for over a year:

I also wash it after every drive through snow to prevent frame and body rust, so the solution to that problem may just be keeping your truck clean.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:21 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 88Vic

Originally Posted by oktain
Ford used to have the exhaust exiting in front of the wheel on the 97 F-150's.........
You sure about that? They love to salt the roads in KC here and i've had my exhaust like this for over a year:

I also wash it after every drive through snow to prevent frame and body rust, so the solution to that problem may just be keeping your truck clean.

WOW!!!

did you read his post? (i highlighted the area in question for you)

'cause judging by that wheel in the pic (and reading your sig if you still couldn't figure it out) it sure don't look like no Ford i've ever seen.

sorry if you think that's being too harsh, but if Pat had of said something along the lines of, "trucks that have the exhaust dumping in front of the rear wheel................" i would've said you put up a nice example of that not being true.

but Pat was right, Ford had a problem. but it was short lived anyways.

Old 08-25-2010, 12:42 PM
Starting Member
88Vic is on a distinguished road

So Ford's can have problems but not GMC? Why does it matter which brand as long as they have the same setup? Ford had problems with side exits, but mine doesn't because it's not a Ford? How does that make any sense? I posted that to show that the problem doesn't make sense because my setup is the same and it's not a problem at all, and i've seen plenty of side exits on Ford's with no problems, like for instance everyone who owns a Gen 2 Lightning which was made after the supposed problems.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:13 PM
BF Guru

OMG!, dude are you being ****!!!

he was showing that the Ford's had an issue (but resolved it) and was giving a heads up to any potential issues.

and if you read into it, you'd see that it was a side exhaust issue, not a Ford issue. besides, it was more with the wheel coating being faulty, than the exhaust.

do you really think only a Ford could have issues with it? i mean, really.

Quick Reply: having tail pipe out infront of rear tires?