Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Headers, Intake, & Exhaust (https://blazerforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-10/)
-   -   intake on a budget (https://blazerforum.com/forum/headers-intake-exhaust-10/intake-budget-61525/)

MisterBrusso 07-27-2011 11:42 PM

intake on a budget

so im thinkin of buying an intake system for my 03 blazer but im on a TIGHT budget since my wife and i just had our second baby (a 1 yr old girl and a 2 week old boy now) and i came across this on ebay.

what is your HONEST opinion of this set up

96-03 CHEVY S10 BLAZER AIR INTAKE SYSTEM 97 98 99 00 01 | eBay

red06sc 07-27-2011 11:57 PM

im also interested.

chris015 07-28-2011 01:22 AM

Ive got one of them ebay setups on my lumina. Filters seem pretty good. Looks good too. gained 1 mpg,cant say much about power.a filter isnt going to improve much until you do exhaust etc too.I say go for it. you cant beat the price.

MisterBrusso 07-28-2011 02:03 AM

thank you. on saturday im suppose to get the piping on the exhaust done when they put on a flowmaster super 40. lookin for cheap headers as well. so hopefully this intake will help out as well

TripleBlackBlazer 07-28-2011 06:52 AM

Looks decent, then make your own heat shield:

How-To: Heatshield

The dimensions are a close estimate so be sure to use your own template to get everything perfect.

Also, IMHO headers aren't worth it unless you port match your heads. You will see bigger gains with a mandrel bent y pipe instead of the crush bent stocker.

AJBert 07-28-2011 11:44 PM

Try swissing your airbox first and dropping in a K&N filter (or filter of your choice) if you are on that tight of a budget.

bowtieboy27 08-16-2011 07:02 PM

hey
i have an excellent solution.

96-05 S10/JIMMY/BLAZER/SONOMA 4.3L V6 COLD AIR INTAKE | eBay
i bought this a month ago and it works so much better then the stock box. i am 17 and i installed it in a half hour so a baby could do it. the mileage is noticable from the first week and the power is definatley better. it makes the engine sound more throaty. i definatley recommoend this.

KNOFF1987 08-17-2011 08:38 AM

I did my cold air kit out of a 90 degree elbow, 2 couples, and a conical air filter. Cost me like $20 but i already had the filter so like $40 including a filter. Looks really nice and it frees up a lot of space. Only thing i didnt connect is the hose running into the stock air box from the valve cover. Havent had any issues running it like this.

Frog 08-25-2011 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by KNOFF1987 (Post 453943)
I did my cold air kit out of a 90 degree elbow, 2 couples, and a conical air filter. Cost me like $20 but i already had the filter so like $40 including a filter. Looks really nice and it frees up a lot of space. Only thing i didnt connect is the hose running into the stock air box from the valve cover. Havent had any issues running it like this.

I would put a filter on the end of the hose coming from the valve cover...it is a vacuum source and could suck in some dirt and crud....that is not going to be very good for your engine.

I will post a pic later on how I did mine....but, what I used was some flexible stainless exhaust tubing, a spectra cone filter and a couple spectra rubber boots and made a bracket to hold it outta the way of the alt...so far so good.

You can actually see part of it in this vid....not much though.

RPM's ??? 2 - YouTube

KNOFF1987 08-25-2011 04:29 PM

Ya I have one of the little mini spectra filters on it. Wasnt sure that it was vacuum but still didnt wanna leave an open hole into my valve cover.